Pimp my band!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 26, 2006.

1. I am fairly disappointed inmy Jazz teacher's selection of pieces for our ensemble: NO FUNK!

Could anyone suggest some awesome funky pieces for our jazz band, preferably with some dope bass parts? Kind of like TOP-ish stuff minus the singer.

I don't think that skill level is too much of an issue for any part. I also wouldn't mind rearranging something for our band's specific makeup.

The band breakdown is:

Drum Set + lots of other percussion stuff
    2 Guitars
    3 trumpets
    2 Trombones
    6 saxes (2 Bari, 2 Tenor, 2 Alto)

Help! We need some FUNK!
  2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    You could take a look at Watermelon Man, Birdland... umm...other songs...

Doesnt your school have a music catalog you can browse through?
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    We did an arrangement of "What is Hip" in my highschool that was an absolute blast, especially the bass/drum breakdown at the end.
  4. how much instrumental material can you get out of that song without lyrics?
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Well, the front line obviously covered the vocal melody. I mean, you're playing a TOP song with a full big band, there's plenty of musicians to go around. Trust me, it worked well, and was our "rythm section feature" that got us best rhythm section in the state festival that year. Hope your drummer is up to it. ;)
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For a stage band that is a pretty weird horn section. Two guitar players, too.

You might be able to get your hands on some of the WOM Revisited charts. If not, you could probably transcribe them with a few other members in the group. A few years ago they published charts for 'The Chicken' if you're interested in that.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Fudge Said The Judge
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You could always make jazzish arrangement from any TOP song? :ninja:

"Oakland Zone" has bit jazz-style approach on the album version, I'd assume it'd transform into a bit smoother feel quite well.
  9. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    Pick Up the Pieces - Average White Band

That's Pretty Funky!
  10. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Or you could just do the whole Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters album. 4 tracks at ~45 minutes long (give or take for the jamming) and you're done.

Of course, Herbie didn't actually use a guitar player (he did the guitar part on some crazy keyboard instrument) so you'd have to do some arranging.

And Weather Report's version of Birdland is pretty much my favourite (though props go out to MMW). There was something special about that Jaco guy.

11. We have enough Jazz!