Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp my Bass: Fender MIM Jazz 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm selling my Ibanez SRX505, and instead of buying a new bass, I'd rather just pimp out my jazz.

I want to throw some bartolinis in there, with a bartolini pre-amp, and I want to add a active/passive switch, so I can have that versatility, and maybe I'll need to add another knob or two for the EQ from the active pre-amp. In terms of power, what would be better, 9V or 18V?

I also want to upgrade my bridge, and anything else you can think of.

Don't worry about cost just yet, but obviously don't go outrageous. So, I need active pickup/pre-amp suggestions for Bartolinis, and a suggestion for a new bridge.

If you can think of anything else to upgrade that will greatly improve the sound, let me know. Thanks.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which jazz bass do you have?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's a fender MIM jazz.

I would do the bridge, pickups, electronics, definitely some DR strings, and a good setup. That will be one awesome beast. I would say, go with the 9 volt setup, as you may not have to do a routing job to get a bettery box in there.

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    do you have any specific models to suggest? I have an idea about pickups and stuff, but I've never even looked at getting a new bridge, so i don't know where to start

Also, any online stores that have pickguards? It's a black bass, and I'm thinking a dark purple pickguard would be awesome.

5. Go with a hipshot bridge. I like the LQ BA's, too.

For electronics, use an 18V setup with a single 9V battery and a voltage doubler.

Use push/pull pots and stacker knobs to get the extra controls.

6. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I did something similar to my MIM Jazz. Added Bartolini Dual Coil Pickups, BadAss Bridge, and Bartolini electronics. 80% of the benefit came from the new pickups. A crap load of work to gut the area under the pick guard to fit the battery (at least with the tools I had.) The Bridge added some more sustain, but more weight than sustain.
    If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. Just the pickup swap for fine passive pickups was the single best improvement.
    Good Luck

7. Seymour Duncan J/MM Pups
    Aggie Pre

add bridges, strap locks, tuning keys, and a dash of nuts to flavour

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hipshot Style A brigde.

Seymour Duncan 1/4pound jazz

J-retro drop-in preamp.

*muuuuh*

9. I have a pimped out 2002 MIM Jazz Sunburst:

- MIA Jazz control plate w/ S-1 switch
    - Ultra Jazz Pickups
    - 62RI tort pickgaurd
    - Badass II bridge
    - Sheilded cavity and pickguard
    - "F" logo Fender neck plate

After I get some new tuners I will be pretty satisfied. Definately upgraded my MIM to where it plays much better than most MIA that I pickup at the music stores.

I have over $600 into this thing, but I was able to spend that over the course of a year to build it up to where it is now.

The downside is that I could probably only get $300 out of this thing. If I bought a MIA for $700, I could almost sell it for what I paid for it.