1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pimp my cab! well, sort of...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tZer, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Hey y'all - I need your help.

I have a home made cabinet with a 15" Black Widow that I use for small jams and practice. The thing is I never 'finished' it. So it is still bare wood and really ugly. See for yourself...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just want to cover it and make it look a little more presentable. Of course tolex is an option, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a covering that I could get from Home Depot? It does not have to be black - I don't care if it is paisley! I am going for looks, not functionality here since this thing never really sees the public - only sits here in my little jam space and occasionally treks out to other friends jam spaces...

Suggest away! I want to do it cheap, easy, and have it look cool, if at all possible!

--tz

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Green outdoor carpet. That way, it would always remind you of springtime.

Seriously, how about low-nap commercial carpet in brown or black?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You could give it two coats of an oil based primer, sanding lightly after the second coat, then roll on 2 coats of oil based Melamine paint using a small foam roller. It'll look pretty good and you can touch it up as needed.

4. Great suggestions - Love the outdoor carpet idea, but... :)

I considered the carpet idea... so that one gets a check-mark.

I'd like to cover it with a material as opposed to paint - at least at this stage... So I am mostly looking for materials that I could get at HD to stick to it. BUT if all else fails, the paint will get applied.

Any other suggestions? Go crazy, but try to keep it feasable - if that is even possible!

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    My guitarist was talking about having found sheets of diamond plate in an auto store the other day that were made to be cut into mudflaps or something. said they were like $20 or something a sheet.

Get a couple of those and cut to suit. Not making the whole cab diamond plate, but just like some accents over a tolex/alternative.

6. NOW YOU COOKIN'! Add to that some of those 'nekked lady' chrome cut-outs and we are talking!!! LOL

That idea moves to the top of the list!! Any more?

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

The guitarist mentioned has a Peavey TripleX.

He wants a Nekkid lady to put on the front of his grill to match his head, but hasn't been able to find one.

8. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    rolled vinyl flooring? this way if you were to spill beer all over it, it wouldn't matter?

seriously though, I REALLY dig the look it has now....

9. Thanks - but it does need something...

Hmmm, vinyl flooring... it's a thought...

It does not look horrible, but I have had this thing for oh, say 15 or so years and I really wanna give it some new life... I was thinking a covering would be a cool way to get it there.

AND I am lazy... I want to go to one place and find all I need - glue, covering material, nekkid lady cutouts LOL - well - that can be a separate trip... But my idea is to get THE idea here... jump in the car, hit the Depot - come home, pimp my cab, shoot pics and post em tonight!

Hep me!

10. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    +1!

11. Cover it with glued on magazine and poster cutout images - then coat with epoxy?

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Make his cab into a ransom note?

13. What about gluing on some shag?

The magazine thing is a cool idea, but you'd have to be sure to use magazines that you always want to see....or you could recover it yearly with saved "big events" from the year. I.E. Time's person of the year, 5 die in bull explosion...

14. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    go with the diamond plate! then make more and sell them on the internet! You will be rich!(make sure you have good drivers though) good luck!

15. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    get some tiles, mirror or whatever; and break them up to make a mosaic!
    a little artsy, but you could put a name, symbol ,etc

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Herculiner roll on pickup truck bedliner. Tough stuff, available at K-Mart last time I was there. A Pint ought to do it.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought my BagEnd cabinets in "13 ply Birch" and then put a set of black plastic interlocking corners on it. I thought it looked killer.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I did a similar thing to a coffee table one time, but using marine navigation charts. Looked great. Should be able to find epoxy resin at Home Depot. A few coats of that will stand up quite well.

Got to watch that the back side of the newspaper doesn't show through though. Test first.

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That reminds me of the tables at Wendy's.

20. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    How about a spray on adhesive followed with tons of glitter. That would be PIMP!

:bag:

fleckstone? You could name it Bella Fleckstone :eyebrow: