Pimp my Elrick: Aguilar OBP-3 Onboard Preamp??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

after being seduced by the Sadowsky side, i havent picked up my Elrick in a long while. and yet, recently i've been getting back to Betsy, remembering how great it played. still, i do want to do something about its sound.

the bass itself is Classic Singlecut 5, swamp ash body, maple neck thru, macassar ebony board, Bart humcancelling J's, Bart "NTMB-918F" 3 band w/ 3 notch midrange selector switch.

while, i know that the aguilar's freq's are spec'd at 40Hz for the bass, 6.5kHz for the treb, cant find the same freq specs on the Bart site for my preamp. anyone know them?

and any real tonal differences btwn the two i should take note of?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The treble frequency on the bart is lower, can't remember it off the top of my head.

With the Aguilar, a very small turn of the bass boost gives you a *lot* of low end boost. The treble frequency choice does seem a little odd, it can sound hissy when boosted even slightly.

I tried an Aguilar OBP-3 in my elrick, and while I do generally overall prefer the Aguilar, in this situation I think the Bart worked better. Elricks can get very bright, certainly the soapbar ones I've played, and with the aguilar it was just a bit too bright for my tastes (and I like a brightish sound)

What are you looking to change about the sound?
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx dave,

think i'll stick with the Bart then, cause bright is not what i want with this bass.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Why don't ya try a J-Retro or swap the pup's for Nordies or both!?!

5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the j-retro is cool, but i found it a tad too sucked in and mids lacking in my swamp ash parts jazz.
  6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I pimped my TRB-6P with an OBP-3. Ok, this bass is pretty much all maple, ie, insanely bright, and the aggie is seriously a damn good match. The treble cut is really quite good. I can cut treble with it but still have my bass sounding bright, but not as much. I know it sounds odd, but the bite is still there, just not as much. Other pre's I have treied seem to muffle the top end when I try and cut the treble. The bass boost is insanely huge without being overbearing I have found. I can boost it all the way and nothing distorts or farts (well, I am in headroom city with what I use...) and doesn't get muddy. As you have probably heard before, "fat" would be the best word to desctibe it. It's a shame you aren't going to get one. They really are good. I have modded mine to be bass boost only and i think i'm going to do another mod and take some of that treble out.