Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp My GL Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Ok I've had my Geddy Lee for about a month now. Still loving it, but feeling that looks-wise, it could be a little more attractive.

Replacements/mods I'm thinking of are....

Replacing the pickguard. I'd actually like the look of a chrome pickguard (but would this scratch horribally?)

Replacement pickups (maybe Fender noiseless? are these a similar tone or are they a lot different?).

I'd like to see some pics of others Geddy Lee sigs. with different colour pickguards to give me some inspiration. And anyone else have any ideas on pickups? I just wan't noiseless pickups and Fender are the only ones I know of at the moment.

Thanks for any help

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Look in the pickup section for the sticky about shielding by Lyle Caldwell. I've done this to two of my basses with excellent results. You can actually use one single coil pup by itself after doing this.
    Another thing I've done, (though I'm sure it won't catch on), I bought a lefty sx 75' jazz copy.It's got the geddy lee neck which I put on a righty p/j body (fully shielded, of course)for reverse tuners.
    I had planned on painting the body but after using a palm sander on it, it looked vintage and the former tobacco burst now wore down with a few bare spots, kinda matches the amber finish of the neck so it matches well. I'll leave it like that and it won't phase me if it gets bumped.
    I'm not recommending swapping the neck with a lefty but shielding might save a few cookies if you like the sound of the original pups.

3. Thanks I'll check out that thread - it's just my room has dimmer lights, a laptop and a TV, not good for single coil noise.
    That bass sounds pretty stick, I'm GASing after a natural body jazz, you got any pics?
    Anyone else got any advice?

4. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well my 3 pickguards I ordered are suppose to be coming today so when they do Il have to post pics of my geddy with each one on there and see if ya like them. I got Tort, Blue Pearl, and Black Pearl and i already spray-painted my original white pickguard black, so if you dont wanna spend too much money, just go get some black spray paint. Also I recommend a Hipshot Detuner. I have one installed on mine and it is awesome, im lovin it.

5. I was thinking about a Detuner...and a whole set of other replacement tuners. Anyone got any recomendations?

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    enough pimp? :)

[​IMG]

7. Nice, I'm loving the black chrome knobs.
    Have you put new tuners on there?

8. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i havent changed the tuners yet, but i have innstalled DiMarzio Model J(not at picture) too :)

9. Less noise with the DiMazios?

10. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    humbuckers ;) nice fat sound too

11. Anyone else got any recomendations/pics on PG colours?

12. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I had a black/grey/silvery pearloid guard on mine - I'll have to post pics when I get home.

13. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    [​IMG]

14. Nice, but where'd the Geddy neck go?

Anyone got any advice on a chrome pickguard/control panel (all in one)?

I might order that and a black/white/black pickguard.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My personal favorite combination is a black pickguard with creme or white pickup covers, like Dimarzio's. Very sexy IMO.

Here's a pic of Nino's with a chrome guard. Chrome looks nice, just doesn't photograph very well.

[​IMG]

16. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Here it is..

Attached Files: