1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pimp My Grind!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Mar 11, 2009.

1. This was another spur of the moment eBay purchase :rollno: I've played a few of these over the years and they always had a nice feel. Very light, ( just under 8.5lbs) thin neck and nice fretboard radius. The reason I jumped on this was the nice Imbuya wings and overall condition as decribed by the seller. It could have been sold as new with the plastic still on the covers.

My first impression is the neck feels like a wenge Warwick neck thru but thinner and more comfy. Overall the playability is fantastic especially for slapping. The stock passive system is good and very useable.

Being as happy with it as I am, maybe some upgrades are in order :ninja: The stock tuners are OK but better ones are already on the way. I have a black Badass bridge in my parts bin. The stock plastic nut is going in favor of a carbon fiber one that I will make.

Has anyone upgraded their Grinds?? Pups?? Pres?? Please share your mods :D

Also, any history on this version would be appreciated. I heard they were made in Vietnam?? :confused:

I'm already thinking about a 5 string version but I want an older one like this 4 banger :bassist:

2. The headstock, no BXP logo :)

3. Gorgeous bass!

What are the pickup dimensions?

As far as preamps go, you've got a lot of options; Bartolini, Glock, Aguilar, etc.

4. Wow. I remember when these were on blowout at MF a year or so ago. I almost pulled the trigger on one. Wish I had. I picked one up and played it at GC around the same time and it felt really nice.

5. The pup demensions are 1 1/2" X 4 1/8" I have two different Aggy pres that I got from a friend. I'm not sure exactly what they are. This is the first bass that might be a candidate for them, I'm more of a P basser.

The more I play it, the more I like it. Through my Little Mark/Aggy rig it's sounding NICE :D With the bridge pup almost soloed it has a real nice farty, almost fretless sound. I'll bet a fretless one would be great. Did they make a fretless version?? :confused: I'm pretty familiar with the American Peaveys but know little about these :meh:

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've always admired the price:features ratio of those Grind NTBs. I remember the BP review when they first came out. I checked one out at a local mom and pop and opened up the control cavity....my first though was *gasp* there is an awful lot of room in there for an on board preamp.

That said I couldn't afford and had no need for new gear at the time so no experience with actually modding it. I would say that you are on the right path with upgrading tuners putting a pre in there. I don't know what would fit concerning pups. I'm sure it would benefit from a rewire and replacement of pots and the jack.

Made in Vietnam.

I don't ever remember there being a fretless version. I do remember 5 and 6 string versions.

EDIT: A quick check of the Bartolini site shows that M4 soapbar is close in size @ 1-1/2" x 4". EMG-40

7. From what I can see, Bartolini makes one that will fit. I don't mind routing but everything else I found is smaller. The QTuner 6 string pup is even smaller :confused:

8. Nice score! I almost purchased the 5 string version from a local music store for $195 ... great shape - should have done it.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I love mine! Bought it new from my bass teacher when my Silvertone crappy starter bass died for $100! I bought my Fender, and still like the tone and feel much more of my Ridge.

I would love to upgrade it too, but I was thinking of some flatwounds.

I think FL would agree, flats would sound amazing on this bass. My tones are dead on mine, none of the knobs work correctly, and it has no volume control, but I love it none the less.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You could frame new pick-ups by infilling the mortises with something like ebony, and then routing to provide a snug fit for new p'ups.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've had mine since they first came out, what 5/6 years.
    i put on a set of Grover tuners
    Nordstrand FatStacks / coiltap
    Sadowsky OBP-1 / VTC
    TI JF-344's

i like my Grind :D

12. That's a good idea that never occured to me :) I have tons of carbon fiber that looks nice.

13. Did the Nordies fit exactly?? I'm off to the Nordy site. I was never impressed with the NP4 P pup but I'll take a look.

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    it's a close enough fit.

any of the FatStacks, BigSingles, BigSplits will fit

they ALL sound Killer, ( have no experience with the NP4 )

15. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    The grind is probably the most comfortable bass I've ever played. I absolutely love mine, and I really want to get a tremolo for it! (and I want to get the 6 string vers. ;) )

16. I have to agree. The neck almost plays itself and it's sooo darn light. I'm readiing up on the Nordy pups.
    If I see a deal on a 5 or a 6, I'm jumping on them!! :hyper:

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    FL, if you do replaces the pups/pre please PM me. Im very bass ignorant, and would love a person/person tutorial, or even you replace them for me. I would pay for the parts, and your service.

Just PM if you do decide to.

18. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    You can't go wrong with some Nordstrand pickups.

19. From what I understand they are great pups. I'm pretty much a P bass player and just didn't care at all for the NP4's tone. I have a few projects to finish, the I'll definately be upgrading the Grind.

20. I'll be glad to take some pics. I'm a machinist with an engineering background, not a luthier. I don't mind working on my own gear but I'd hate to work on someone elses, other than a minor setup!!