Pimp my Jazz Bass....new pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squeally dan, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    I equipped my Lakland DJ4 with a John East DJ Retro preamp, and I can tell you that with the preamp engaged, most (if not all) semblances of a traditional J sound is gone. I can cop the J sound by bypassing the preamp, with my Nordstrand pickups completely taking over. However, under bypass mode of this preamp, I'm subjected to extremely limited tonal adjustment options.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    What other basses are you comparing it to? If the others are not J basses, that might be part of the problem. And how are you setting your volumes? Are you running both volumes wide open? If so, you might try soloing just one pickup or the other.

3. another +1 for the model j's, and they wil boost your output. and get some new strings on there.

nice looking bass:bassist:

4. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    What strings should I try?

5. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I had a '91 and I found that the output was a little low. Especially compared to some other Jazz basses that I've owned.

As for after market pickup suggestions? I put a set of Lollar J pickups in my Roadworn Jazz, and it brought the tone of that bass to life.

6. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    What strings should I try?

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had a late '90s J - but it had the Suhr p'ups and sounded great.

Were I you, I'd get the SD QPs or the recommended Dimarzios and be done with it. There's a lot to be said for a passive bass.

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Put dimarzios in if you like a more traditional brighter sound. Seymour duncans antiquities are excellent as well. I prefer bartolinis for rounder a but darker tone. I wouldn't modify the bass and put a preamp in. I'd put a pedal in front.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I like DRs, but any decent quality string of the type you like (rounds/flats/stainless/nickle). The big difference in strings that I hear is how long they last, not how they sound when they are first on a bass.

10. azwipe

azwipe

Jul 9, 2013
    Washington, DC
    One more vote for DiMarzio Model J's. I've had them in my Fender J for 15 years and people always notice the amazing tone. Fatter than the traditional J sound, but not a world apart. They sound incredibly bold and lively, ballsy but with tons of detail, and noise-free.

11. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues!

GHS Pressurewounds. Jason from BSO recommended them to me. Inexpensive, easy on frets and fingers, and sound very appropriate on a Jazz. :bassist:

12. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    NorCal
    I am a fan of Lindy Fralin and Duncan pickups. The bass in my avatar sports a Duncan Antiquity with the raised A poles. Love the sound of the P with nickel wound rounds. My Jazz has Fralin's and also strung with nickel wounds.

13. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice!

14. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Another vote for J's, wired mine for V/B/T. Nice!

15. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    put that bridge cover back on. :D

16. Eric66

Eric66

Sep 23, 2013
    The Netherlands

This^^

If you cannot do it yourself, spend a little money on a luthier first. The original pick-ups are not bad at all.

17. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I use 500k volume pots and a Fender TBX tone control in all my passive JJ basses for extra tone flexibility and clarity.

It's one low cost way to open up the sound of the pickups without losing old school tones.

I'm a fan of the Dimarzio Area J pickups, and also have had great results with the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Js (using the 500ks and TBX).

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021