Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp my jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaz, Dec 26, 2004.

1. I just got a fender geddy lee jazz bass and love it!
    i am looking to make some modifications to it, any input i get would be awesome

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If you love it, why mod it? What don't you like about it, or think you could make better?

If I owned a jazz bass, like your's, I'd probably add a d-tuner and a pre-amp (j-retro). Maybe try some new strings out too.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    +1 on the J-Retro. I have one, it'll make a crappy Squire sound like the Voice of God... imagine what it'll do on a quality J... :cool:

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you're going to pimp my bass, why not

rout out the front for a built in tuner,
    replace the inlay position markers with some 14K bling bling
    fretboard front LEDs at every fret that light up when you play that fret
    a painted emblem of your favorite super hero
    a camera on the head stock connected to a monitor so that the audience can see themselves

If you're pimpin' pimp big

5. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    A tort guard, a J retro and a D tuner

6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mmm, I just got a jazz two days ago. Wish I had the money for a J-retro.. :bawl:

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    i have one and I changed the tuning heads to Hipshots, the pickups to Dimarzios Ultra Jazz and th epickguard to a black perl one.

But the best part, the neck, is still there.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Get used to it for a while and discover what (If anything!) you don't like about it. Making modifications just to be making modifications is a waste of time and money. If you decide you are going to change out some parts, change them one at a time so you can properly evaluate each change. If you change a lot of parts all at once and you don't like it you won't know where it went wrong.

Just my opinion.

9. Bassoballs

Bassoballs Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I changed out the original Pots with High quality ones, now the volume and tone actually work

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

honestly though, if you like it dont ruin a good thing.
    once you find something minor like tone or sustain, even a pickguard then you know what to look for.

11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    If you like it, I say don't change a thing.
    IMO

12. wurstburst

wurstburst

Nov 18, 2007
    I'll never understand the mindset of modding before giving yourself a chance to grow accustomed to the gear.

Modding a bass you just got and actually love...now there's a new one for me, though. :rollno:

Keep it stock for 3 months, then think about modding.

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    wow, talk about OLD THREAD.

14. Barnabas

Barnabas

May 17, 2009
    Atlanta
    I'd replace those fretboard inlays.
    Black Plastic? Yechh.

15. WuvMuffin72

WuvMuffin72

Aug 12, 2009
    Install an active preamp and/or a series parallel switch.

And you know, sometimes you want to make additions for things you love. I mean, it may be amazing, but you can make it even more amazing. Obviously, there will never be such a thing as a perfect bass for anyone, and there is, they probably put a lot of time into... you know, modding it.

And a mirror pickguard. Now that's pretty pimp for bass standards.

16. All this stuff about 12" monitors... Pffft.

What you really wanna do dog is to bolt the hardware and the neck onto a 40" monitor. The camera on the headstock is a great idea, but it also needs one on a gooseneck, like Larry Graham's mic, so that the fans can see your face bobbing up and down on the monitor (ie. the body of your bass) as you play. And don't put a series parallel switch in, you're gonna need the switch space for the camera switcher.

Oh yeah, and install those blue insectocutor strip lights down either side of the neck.

Steve

17. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    Cut the lower horn off. Not only will the bass look cool but it'll me lighter too!

edit: You can always glue it back on if you change your mind.