Pimp My Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Nov 10, 2004.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Yo TBers.

I got a nice MIM fender jazz but I'm looking to do a little more with it. I've indeed decided that I wanna do it up a bit, if you will. I was recommended to some seymour duncans but didn't know they had 4 different models to choose from (looking at bestbassgear.com.) anyone got any experience with all these?

also when it comes to strings, heard too many good (but different) things about d'addario and DRs, but I'm unfamiliar with either of em. Don't have a lot of cash for experimentation either...

So basically what I'm asking is, what have you guys done to pimp your jazzes, and what kind of sounds have you found hidden within your basses with the configurations you use? :bassist:
  2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    As for as Seymours are concerned I'd go for the Quarter Pounders, but I personally prefer Bartolinis over them big time. Strings I use DR exclusively on all basses.
  3. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    For pups, I'd go with a set of Nordstrand Js.

I'm also considering putting a Warmoth neck on my MIM jazz. The current one is a touch funky. It'd cost me near as much as the bass did origionaly, but still less than a bass with a neck of a similar quality from Fender.

The classic mod, however, is a Badass II bridge.
  4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yes, How can I forget that. BAII bridges should be standard on all Fenders.

I'm in the market for a P bass, but I made the mistake of picking up the Geddy, now I dont know if I'll buy a P after all, I might just buy another Jazz.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Give us an idea what sort of music you play and what kind of tone you are looking for so we can narrow the focus.
  6. Why not buy a new neck from
  7. I just slapped a pair of these in my SX Jazz bass and I absolutely love 'em!!! :bassist: They kinda have a Marcus Miller type tone to 'em. They almost doubled the output of my J bass, so now it can kinda hang with my Cirrus volume wise. They didn't change the tone a whole lot which is what I was goin' for anyhow. I like the traditional J bass tone. When I was deciding on new pickups, it was either these or the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's. I got these cause they were being clearanced at my local GC, for $70 I came out way ahead.
  8. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i bought a MIM jazz bass fretless, black... i put on a new pickguard becasue the white ones look cheap alot of the time. i put in some 62 re-issue pickups... great jazz bass tone. straplocks, and new strings... i like the sound of rotosounds after a few days os use...growl and deep tone. oh yes, get rid of those cheap numbered volume knobs... get the vintage ones or pbass ones.. looks stylish..
  9. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Why would I replace an actual Fender neck with a Rondo neck? Rondo seems to be neet stuff for the price, but a Warmoth neck can be made to your specs, with your wood choices, just as well, (if not better) than Fender US. I'm not looking for a cheap lil'thing to frig around with. I want something to properly fill that Jazz bass void that near every bass player has.

And I noticed a definate difference when I added a BA-II to my MIM. And I got it for free, so it's not even like I'm trying to mentally validate the money spent on it or anything. Got one for free, thought I'd give it a try, and Bam- way more sustain. Which is nice, seeing as how it's on a fretless.
    It's simply more mass with a greater surface contact area with the bass. Not saying it's gonna be a night-and-day difference or anything, but it is a reasonably cheap and reasonably easy upgrade that I say'd be worth it. Fender bridges just suck soooo much.
  10. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, how come the Rondo Jazz neck is so cheap? Any significant (scary) differences compared to a Warmouth neck or a used one straight off a Jazz?

Unless I get a darn good reason, that neck is practically ordered! Thanks!

11. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    With Rondo necks, you'll get what you pay for. Cheap woods with cheap construction techniques. Not USELESS, but not top of the line by any means.

Warmoth makes aboot the best Fender-style necks on the replacement market. Standard re-enforcement bars, good woods, well made, and extra fret thrown in for good measure.

If you wanna get a cheap beater bass to try your hand at fretless or something, a Rondo'd be sweet. Hell, I've considered getting one of their fretless 6ers. But if you want a serious neck, get a Warmoth one.
  12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Warwick Corvette standard (kind of a Jazz bass...) I threw some DiMarzio Model J's and an Aguilar OBP-3 in it and its made it an entirely new instrument. Pickups and electronics are going to change the instrument the most drastically, but things like new hardware are going to make much more subtle changes. Good luck.
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And more importantly, it won't fit your bass without modification. The Fender, Warmoth, Allparts, and Mighty Mite necks are all made to a standard Fender neck pocket. Rondo is made for Rondos non-standard neck pocket only.
  14. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm...valid point.

Anyone know how the Rondos neck pocket compares to a standard Fender? Bigger? Smaller?
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    get a flat screen lcd tv and mount on the back somewhere. then and only then is it pimped and the x to the z xhibit will come out and so "i just pimped yo bass!"
  16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    How do those Rondo necks sound? Ive been looking for a cheap maple neck to put on my jazz but I dont wanna make it sound like crap.
  17. Guys, I've built 3 instruments using Rondo "blanks" and have 4 others sitting here in my shop. I've had a couple of the 5'ers to work with. I've used the P & J Maples and the Rosewoods in even numbers. I've owned an Essex Jazz but traded it for an Essex P that is now my "Bass of Doom". I've narrowed them, recontoured them, fretted them, dressed them and finished them...

in short, shy of Kurt himself, I have probably handled more of these than anybody here on these boards.

Here's the absolute truth about Rondo necks. They are worth twice what they are asking for them. That's just fact. They are generally stable, accurately made, easily adjusted, and stay adjusted. Fretting from the factory is adequate across the board but will need dressing about 50% of the time. BTW, this has been fixed by Kurt and isn't a problem any longer with his current line. The nuts are most always cheap and need replacing. And, if you don't like a headstock adjustment on your trussrod, these aren't for you. But overall, and if your are ready to accept that the neck should be considered a "prepped blank", you won't be disappointed at all with the quality. AND, if you aren't tremendously critical, they can be used in a home construction and you'll be happy.

And you will all be glad to know that the Rondo heel on the rosewood neck does fit Fender pockets in most cases. There will always be some mismatch which is understandable considering the crossmatch between brands, country's, models, etc. The P necks however, are a 21 fret neck unlike a true Fender.

So my recommendation is that for the money they can't be beat. They ARE a good buy. They AREN't Warmoth or AllParts and they aren't $200 either. They are what they are and they do it very well. ;)
  18. The neck's dimensions are listed on the website so I'd suggest using a ruler. I'd check my MIM Jazz but it's at the office.

*shrug* would an expensive neck really improve a MIM Jazz?
  19. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    The crappy necks are the only real PROBLEM with an MIM Jazz. Body wise, aside from the aesthetics of the shoddier finishes and the big, ugly neck pup rout under the pickguard, there's little seperating a US made Jazz from a Mexican. It's a slab of hardwood milled on a CAD machine. Mexicans fall short, though, in the crappy-neck-wood department.

I mean, the body's a body, and the stock pups actually sound pretty good. It's just the excessively "active" neck that's keeping MY MIM Jazz from being a serious condended for playtime. It's like it's got a different buzz for every %10 humidity change. Can't tweak the trussrod fast enough.

Getting a Rondo neck'd too likely get me right back in the same place. A good neck, though, and I'd have me a real sweet player!
  20. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Whoa, thanks for the response!

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and I've played bass for a solid 3 years now. (when I say solid I mean, none of that "YAH I PLAY FOR 3 YEARS" but I really worked at it hard, everyday, for 3 years).

As far as how the bass plays, the playability is nice but the strings are a little too rough for my taste...I've only played roundwounds, and I'm not sure what strings complement jazz basses well. I don't want a lot of action in them either...my E string is still a bit too floppy for me. Also, for what I know Fender pups aren't worth jack, and the stock ones are a bit noisy. I'd like to get something to smooth out that hum/feedback I'm getting.

As far as tones, I want something smooth, with warm mids and great low-end, particularily for stuff like fast jazz. I don't play anything really heavy (but I'd still like a sweet bottom). To put it best, my biggest influence on bass is John Paul Jones. :bassist:

So I'm lookin' at a BAII for the low-end, what kind of pups should I be lookin for?

Oh, and for aesthetic value, I've already switched out the nasty white pickguard for the classic tortoiseshell on off-white look. :)