Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pimp my p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kiopd22, Jul 22, 2005.

1. kiopd22

kiopd22

Jul 19, 2005
    MIA. FL
    ok i have this one cheap fender p-bass and it was my 1rst bass so i dont wana let it go..but at the same time it dosnt sound as good as my other bass (ibanezSR405) and plus its my only 4 string. I want to use it for slapping. Any good suggestions on pimpin my p-bass to become a pimped out slap bass???

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    New pickups, Badass II bridge, new pickguard and new tuners should fit the bill.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was always told that P-basses weren't the slap sort of bass...

Have I been told wrong?

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I love the sound of my warwick nobby meidel bass (with a schaller pbass pickup) slapped.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can slap any bass. If it sounds good, do it. My P sounds pretty good slapped, just that thumb rest on there gets in the way!

6. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    IMO, the P just isn't the bass for slap. I've seen people do it, but I just haven't met a slap-friendly P. I know mine sucks for it, and I also intend to pimp it out too. :D
    /hijack
    That said, does anyone know of a top-loading fender-style bridge with the 5 screw setup that's massy and not too expensive?

7. EMG actives are the way to go to get a nice hifi P-bass slap tone. :)

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You asked....

[​IMG]

9. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Woah, that looks cool!

10. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    you've murdered a beautiful bass.... :crying:

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    The Badass II is exactly what you're looking for unless $60-$90 American is too expensive for you.

kiopd22: what type of wood is your body and neck made of?

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    dude, what kind of pickup is in that chrome monster?

I don't normaly go for diamond plate, but there is a certain brutal appeal to that bass

13. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I went from a Westfield P-Bass (still have it, gonna defret, replace pickups and maybe even put a tremeleo bar on it) to a Fender J-Bass cos the P-Bass wasn't any good at slapping.

Either way, you most defintely want to replace the pickups on it for some jazz ones - Humbuckers?

14. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Just randomly...isn't the Stu Hamm Urge 2 a p-bass? If so...I'm kinda guessing you can make a p-bass good for slap lol

15. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I find that a good fender p-bass has a nice thick slap tone. It's different than a jazz, but not bad in my opinion.

Pimp your P? Have the whole thing painted in some flashy sparkle paint, body, headstock, everything. Then do what beav2k2 said. Just find pickups that will be bright and punchy. Get yourself some light guage stainless steel round wound srtings, maybe DR Hi-Beams. Then get yourself a cool stage name, a band, and funk it up!

16. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What you need my friend is skull knobs (Black or chrome/nickel), DR strings, either Seymour Duncan QP P or a active P pickup and a 3-ply black (pearl)/white/black pickguard. That's nice! :cool:

17. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1 on the skull knobs! But paint that sucka from head to toe.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the sound of a slapped P-bass. That said, most people prefer the sound of a bridge pup when slapping. So, have your P-bass converted to a PJ-bass.

Step 2: refinish it in huge metalflake, something like this:
    [​IMG]

19. kiopd22

kiopd22

Jul 19, 2005
    MIA. FL
    Damn thats a nice paintjob on that. Where can i do that and how mutch $$ would it run me??

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    More than the cost of your bass.