Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp my Peavey...please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CDuff, Jul 15, 2004.

1. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    I play a budget Peavey Dynabass, and it sucks. The playability, balance, weight etc. are all perfect, but, crucially, the pickups suck and i want to buy some new ones.
    So I need some advice on some brands to look for.
    My bass has two soapbars and 4 pots (1 tone and 1 volume for each P-up), I'm not going to post a price ceiling so just suggest any brands you like.
    In terms of tone, versatility would obviously be ideal but if that's not possible, i'd prefer the warm and bassier end of things, as opposed to cutting edgy sounding P-ups. Any thoughts on what manufacturers, or specific models, to look at would be great.

Thanks for any help given,
    Ciaran.

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    "Pimp my Peavey...please!"

:p

Can't really help you but from what I've heard, I'm going to say Bartoloni pickups would work well. (edit: crap, its spelled bartolini)

I could be totally off on that.

http://www.bartolini.net/

By the way, Familyman uses those pickups according to the Bartolini website.

3. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    As in Familyman my most favourite bassist ever? that's pretty cool.
    Yeah i'd heard Barts are good, a definite possibility.
    thanks, keep 'em coming if there's any more :)

4. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah. Listen to what other people say though... I've never actually used those pickups. Or anything other than the stock pickups in my 2 basses. I'll probably get Barts in my Jazz bass in a while (like a year probably, stock pickups are fine now). Are they noiseless?

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Is the Dynabass active (uses a battery) or Passive?

If it is passive and uses the Soapbar pickups I think then you might try a different route than replace the pickups. The soapbar pickups on many on the Peavey 80s model basses are punchy but they lack both the deep lows and crispness on the highs. An Aphex Bass Xciter pedal will add the lows and highs to make up for pickup response. Besides, I don't think any other pickups will fit in the slots for the soapbars - which means you will have to modify the slot size.

If you have a music store in your area that carries any of the Aphex Pedals (Bass, Acoustic or Guitar), see if they will let you try one. Try the following settings if they have the Bass Xciter and the Peavey uses passive pickups:
    Lo Tune: 6
    Lo Blend: 8
    Hi Tune: 3
    Hi Blend: 8

You may need to turn the Low Blend up or down depending on how much bass you like.

6. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Yeah, It's passive. But the problem with my bass isn't that I don't like the tone, it's that it's freakishly quiet. The output is so damn low for some reason, it's the quitest bass i've ever heard. I mean, Squiers and stuff may have crap tones but they're at least audible. So I just want to get a whole new electronics package to bring the bass up to a usable, gigable level.

7. Maybe all you need to do is raise the pickups so they're closer to the strings. Why don't you take some measurements (from the bottom of the strings to the top of the pickups) and let us know what they are? This may be something that can be cured with a screwdriver and 5 minutes of your time without any cash leaving your pocket!

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    How high are the pickups? There should be screws on the side that adjust the height - raising the height might give you more volume - but if you get the pickups too high (close enough for the strings to hit them when you play), you could lose volume.

Is the bass alot louder with only a single pickup fully on or when both pickups are fully on? The pickups may be wired out of phase if it is alot quieter with both on (but the neck pickup should be slightly louder than both on as it picks up where the strings vibrate the most).

The Aphex pedal will give you a little more volume (especially in the lows) and a little more sustain without affecting your overall tone. The boost it gives should not overdrive your amp as an EQ pedal would (most EQ pedals will give you a boost in volume - and you could add a little lows without affecting the overall tone). The Aphex pedal has a limiter built in that helps to keep the signal consistent.

9. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    yeah, i've done that raising and lowering jazz but here's the thing which (now that i think about it) was stupid of me to leave out. I replaced one of the pickups already with one from my old defretted Westone, and it did get louder but because i only replaced one, it's still not loud enough, so I know new pickups and electronics would DEFINATELY help.