Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp my Warwick 5. Pickups and preamp question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Toasted, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ive (probably) got a Warwick 5 string, Streamer LX coming in the post over the next few days. It has J/J Mec's and the MEC 3 band preamp.

I want to replace these with Bartolini Soapbars and a Bart 2 or 3 band preamp. (Volume / Blend / Bass / Treble)

I'd like to know you guys opinins on:

a) Which preamp and which Bart Soapbar's i should go for (remember: its a 5 string)

b) Where the pups should be placed, I was thinking of the location in the diagram, that is, just making the standard routs larger than they are. I am however at liberty to place them almost where-ever i want, as the original routs can be filled and new ones cut (anywhere) as the body will be having a solid refin. So, go wild.

If anyone could be so kind as to meaure where the soap bars are located in terms of the last fret and the bridge on the Streamer Stage I 5 string, i'd be really really thankful :)

Cheers guys, go nuts.

[​IMG]

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I believe davidmwilson would tell you the all Bart idea might not be the best move for you. As I recall he said it was "woolly" in his Thumb 5, you might be better off with Bart pups and an Aguilar OBP-3 to open the highs up some more. That's an incredibly sweet bass, I always wanted one of the 4 stringers to get the P/J setup but realized I just can't play 4's

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Have you considered keeping it as a J/J setup? I've got a '97 Corvette that I've modded with some DiMarzio Model J's and an Aguilar OBP-3, and it sounds absolutely amazing.

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, its just a route (actually routless :D ) you might consider. Good luck though.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for the ideas guys, I appreciate them. We're all in anticipation of David now, he seems to be "the bart man" around these parts, to be sure.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I've typed my bart/warwick experiences so much I'm sure people are sick of reading of it.

Toasted,
    is there a particular reason you want to put soapbars? Soapbar is a shape, not a coil config.

My advice: Wait until you get the bass, let us know what you find wanting about the tone. You might well be able to get by with replacement J's - Dimarzios, EMG or what have you

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ok thanks david. a search is in order :ninja:

Playing music is a vanity. Its a personal expression, as such it is a vanity. I am extremely vain. I want soap bars because i like the way they look in streamer bodies.

Im glad i can finally admit that. Its like being an Ox and removing the yoke from my shoulders.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    And I seriously think that's a perfectly valid reason

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I feel vindicated.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok. I'd still recommend waiting until you get it, play it and know what you like/disklike about the stock setup. There are other mfr's who make compatible soapbar pups (SD, EMG possibly).

10. As some of you know I've had my Warwick for a long time (see my avatar) and I've always wondered what a pair of Bart jazz pickups would do for the sound? I've had the MECs on there since day one - but having heard how awesome bart's can be I am tempted to change them - is anyone able to tell me what might improve or change with the sound?

Cheers in advance

Mike

11. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Based on my limited experiences you'd get a lot more lows and low mids, way less highs and a softer growl and midrange. That's what happened with my Fender, in a Warwick it could be a whole different story. Regardless, KEEP THE MEC'S SIR!! Just in case :p

This thought hit me while hittin the shower ewww... you probably won't get your money back out of all the mods Toasted, just something to think about. Maybe you should hold off a bit before you make all these mods just to ensure this bass is IT for you.

12. Thanks dude - the bass does sound very good anyways - as it's an old Warwick it doesn't lack any character that's for sure! I did think about adding a parametric EQ as the mids on the bridge pickup tend to be a bit weak but I've since decided against it - it ain't broke so I'm not going to try and fix it!

Cheers - have a cool weekend

M

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I havent told you all the MOD's im thinking of getting done. resale value doesnt really bother me right now. Im willing to take the hit for a bass that will, probably be the only 5 string ill ever need.

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Kickass, I'd love to see what this thing looks like when you're done Toasted. Should be pretty sweet to say the least.

15. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Toasted, I have the same exact bass, mine is a bit lighter in color but anyways...I've recently done some mods to mine. I agree with others about testing out the original stock setup and work out what you like/don't like. For me it was the MEC preamp, I found that it was a bit on the wooly side of things. You'll notice when you pull up on your volume knob, it will deactive the preamp and you'll have the uncolored tone of just the active MECs. The pickups are actually very clear and sound very good. I swapped out the MEC preamp for an aguilar OBP-1 and couldn't be happier. I considered getting the 3 band (OBP-3) but really I don't miss having the mid control. I feel the bass has a nice sounding midrange as it is (this is just my opinion) and I have a flexible EQ on my amp anyways. I've tried EMGs in another Warwick I've owned and although it did sound good, I didn't like how it changed the overall tone. Don't have any personal experience with Barts but I did hear a Warwick w/ Barts and it sounded very nice.

16. ropie

ropie

Nov 25, 2004
    Hi Z-Bass, I'm trying to install an OBp-1 in my streamer LX 6, but it doesn't work (I opened a thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153037 )
    can you help me with some wiring issues? did you used the 2 batteries of the aguilar also for feeding the pickups?

17. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey Ropie, sorry haven't checked in on this thread for a while. After assessing the preamp wires and control cavity of the bass, I felt it was best left to a professional to do the mod. I had a local tech swap the preamps, and he figured it out. It is possible but it is a tight fit. I had it wired 18 volts (two batteries). We went over the installation when I picked up the bass and what he ended up doing was removing the stock battery holder/clip to give a little more room (one of the batteries is there). The other battery is basically floating (for lack of a better term) and sets on top of the controls. Mind you both batteries are wrapped in foam to prevent damage to the other components but when putting the control cover back on it is snug, yet secure. If I can get to it, I'll try and post some pics so you can get an idea. Oh yeah, the preamp itself is secured to one of the sides of the control cavity. And it was wired such that the pullup feature on the volume knob retains it's function and can deactivate the preamp.