Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pimp my warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lymie, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    Hi there,

I'm thinking of pimping my warwicks. My 89 thumb 4 fretless has hardly been touched the last 5 years and i'm wondering if it is sensible to fret it (it has an ebony fingerboard). Or would i just ruin it.

Furthermore i have an infinity 2000 ltd but i don't like the mec pick ups. It sounds a bit to brittle. The setup now is j-twinj. The neck element i can replace easily, but will i be able to find a good replacement for the twin j (it has four holes for fastening like the j pickup). I looked at Barts and SD, but i don't think their musicman replacements will fit in the cavity.

Need help with this one!

p.s. also posted in the pickup section

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would not fret the thumb, id sell it and buy a fretted one. If some guy is looking for an older thumb fretless, he would gladly take it off your hands, in fact im sure if i had the money i would.

I agree about MEcs sounding brittle sometimes. I would replace the jazz pickup with a bartolini, not sure about the twin J. I would replace the preamp with a bartolini as well.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    for god sake, please don't fret that thumb!!!
    pm me if you'd like to sell it!
    -don't have any input on the infinity, other than barts are my fav.
    don't be afraid to pm me
    thanks!
    doug

4. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I agree. don't fret the thumb.

I have a thumb and totally get what you're saying about the MEC pickups. I would like to go w/ Bartolini pickups too or possibly some nordstrand pickups if they fit.

5. I've been wondering about replacing MECs too -- What would be the tonal differences between Bartolini and Duncan Basslines?

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    As everyone else has said.....Don't fret the Thumb!

For the Infinity Twin-J pup, maybe a Rio Grande Powerbucker?

7. For the twin J-pickup - is it possible that you could take the existings pickups out of the Twin-J casing? Then you could somehow disassemble two J-pickups and mount them into that same casing. Or you could just have some luthier who does pickups (Benavente, Nordstrand, Aero) fit any pickups of your choice into a custom made twin-J casing that would fit.

8. Lymie

Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    Holland
    I looked at bgra.net and the pickup topic says that if you have emg on one side of the soundspectrum and barts on the other, basslines are in the middle of them, soundwise. The barts sounding darker and rounder, the basslines punchier and more agressive. I know of some early infinity's being equipped with basslines, but i don't know their setup

As for the thumb, maybe i'll just leave it as is. I guess i'll be making a lot of people really sad. If it was a newer model i wouldn't hesitate doing it, but it's still an original handmade one

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Had me worried there for awhile... ;)

10. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    please...for the love of wood, dont fret the thumb!!!!
    For the infinity...maybe some emgs? still preserve the treble without the lowend lack?
    +1 on the...well...not so greatness of MEC's. Have the passive set on my corvette 4 fretless...keep the bass from being jaw-dropping in tone.

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    wise decision, i bet you won't rgret it ;)
    d