Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimp Our Wish!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    OK, Wish II made it all the way through it's appointed rounds. It actually is going back to Coffee-Sipper's house. There's still a few who want to play it, but somewhere along the thread, we came up with the idea that maybe it could be made into a....um...more usable instrument. So we're going to pass it around and make "improvements" to it. I think one of the first things that should be done to it is a new, real bridge. Other ideas bandied about were new electronics, a refinish is definitely in order, a new fretboard, a trussrod, a reshaping of the goofy headstock...who's got more? Let's hear your ideas, gang!

The rules on this thread should be something along the lines of, and I'm open to suggestions,

1) Everyone who participates in this thread donates their time and their materials.
    2) No painting it with invisible paint!!!
    3) Shipping charges to be paid by the person who is shipping it to the next.
    4) Time to have it in your possession should be limited to (x) days. I don't exactly know how many days, it depends. F'rinstance, it takes longer to do a strip and refinish than it does to install a bridge...so it should be agreed upon prior to shipping.
    5) If the bass gets destroyed for some reason, I'm all for dismantling it, sending the parts back to whoever put them on, and using the wood that's left at the next GTG for a bonfire.

Then there's the matter of what to do with it once it has been upgraded. Since it will presumably be a playable instrument, should we let Steve Wishnevsky "have a go" with the fruits of our labors, to demonstrate what one of his creations could be, if he chose to use quality parts and quality construction techniques? That might be kind of enlightening to him. I'm not trying to knock Steve, it's just that, well, I'd like to see him learn a thing or two about bass building and modifying... :eek: :ninja:

For final disposition, should it be raffled off, donated to a worthy cause, or what? I'd like to see it go to an underprivileged youth who demonstrates ability on bass, but cannot afford his own. Sort of a scholarship, if you will...any other ideas on this?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm open to discussing ideas about all of this.

My recommendations for some of the work-
    Pete Skjold to replace the fretboard, install the truss rod, and reshape the neck...
    Budman to refinish...
    I can donate a bridge. There's not much room for something like a BA, but a stock Fender-style would be a vast improvement.

2. Can you post a picture of it. I have tried to search the threads, and can't seem to find the picture in the vast amount of posts.

Thanks
    Chris

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think the raffle is a good idea, and maybe some of the money could go back into TB?

Personally, I think fixing it and sending it to Steve would be a bit rude...funny, but rude :) I really don't think he would get anything from it anyway, because he seems to have this free-as-a-bird-minamalist approach anyway, he would probably just ignore it. I'm sure he's read the negatives, and I'm sure he just doesn't care.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]

5. sure is a hideous little beast...

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the looks of it.....:bag:

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds cool, allthough Im not sure if Pete would be interested. To be honest, I dont think this beast is worth upgrading, and the amount of work it would take is unreasonable.

Unless you've already spoken to Pete, Id kinda write that idea off. I wouldnt want to do it if I knew how hehe.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I haven't spoken to Pete, but I was thinking about trying the procedure myself on an old POS to see if it was feasible... :meh:

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Me too. It's one of the nicer Wishbasses I've seen, and I think it looks better than some of the uber-spendy boutique designs.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think it's real cool that you can easily reach like 30 frets.

11. to be honest with you if it had a different headstock on it it wouldnt look half bad...

now lets get rid of that darn musicman pickup :spit: :)

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Strangely, I like everything about that bass... even the headstock.

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Speaking as someone who has actually played that Wish.

It's obvious from your statement that you have not.