Pimp The MIK Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I've decided to make this my ultimate bass. I'm gonna combine all the things I want in a bass into this bass. Now, I was thinking EMG 3 band pre amp(is it the BCQ or BQC?), with an EMG p bass pickup, and a Seymour Duncan MM pickup in the bridge. Also, I'm thinkibng of a dfret, but not quite sure. Do you guys reckon this would work, or would it ruin the bass?
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Probably not a great idea to be mixing such dissimilar pickups together, unless you plan on just using one or the other instead of mixing them.

If you do go for the MM bridge pickup and the defret, please, get it done professionally instead of doing it yourself. I defretted my Ibanez EDA905, and while it sounds and plays fine, I didn't do a very clean job of taking out the frets, and because of that I probably won't ever be able to sell it for any reasonable amount of money.
  3. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    What brand and type of pickups are already in your bass? (P, J etc)....

It might work providing you use a passive EMG P from the Select or Hz range. Don't reckon you can get away with mixing active EMGs with Duncan's though. EMGs require 25k pots and a 9V battery that is turned on and off using the input jack. Best to stick to one brand or the other.

As for the defret, I'm really not so sure. If you ever sell it on, it'll be next to worthless unless you shell out to have it properly refretted.... :rollno:
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    EMG makes an MM now. Look into it. BQC is a good choice it's in all of my spectors.
  5. I would say stick to one brand of pickup. As far as the defretting.... I'm not so sure I would go that route. It would be better to buy a used fretless and pimp that one out, imo.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    What is with you wanting to frankenstein your basses? Remember when you wanted to have a Warwick neck put on your Rockbass Streamer? Its a bad idea, and it will absolutely ruin any chance of reselling it. :rolleyes:

7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Double Dark Star Pickups :D
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Don't do it, it'll cost you (or your dad or both) an arm and a leg and you'll end up regretting it in the end. Isn't this the Spector that gets "immense ballsy farty burpy, gaseous, bowel movements, piledrivingly heavy rounded mids massive low end uber growl tone" If so why change a good thing?
  9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004

I would to the opposite if I had the chance, rockbass necks are slimmer than those huge logs warwick calls necks :D
  10. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    just wondering do MIK spectors work like how fender has MIM fenders? with the same bass just cheper made or whatever?
  11. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Please never say 'pimp' again...
    Have you ever played fretless before? EXTREMELY hard to learn w/o a lesson teacher. Fretless technique cannot be rushed and most 15/16 year olds don't have that much patience. I wouldn't be so hasty about defretting it.
  12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i disagree. Nick may not have to patience to get the technique down pat and perfect intonation etc... but yeah, just takes work and dedication but it's not what i would call EXTREMELY hard to learn w/o a lesson teacher.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Fretless isn't that hard, though it does take work (I'm teaching myself to do it right now). That said, I wouldn't de-fret this bass. I'm sure you can pick a cheap fretless used, just fool around with that to decide how you feel about fretless. Otherwise, I thought you liked this bass...
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    You'd probably be better off to just sell this bass and get a bass that you know has everything you'd want, as opposed to modding it heavily. Mods don't really add to the value of the bass, especially defretting, which would take away from the value. Also, you could make all these changes and totally hate what you did to it. I spent a few hundred modding a Schecter Stiletto and when I was done, not only was I out a few hundred bucks, but I didn't like the bass any more than before I had the mods done.

You're probably going through what I went through with a few basses I was unhappy with. You have a bass that you keep going back and forth on what you think of it, so you're toying with "making it better". When basically all you're doing is trying to give your bass something that it will never have IMO. Hope that makes sense :)
  15. I learned on a fretless. It'll have lines anyhow. If EMG make a MM pickup then that's good. The P bass pickup gets that classic p bass snarl now, but the bridge pickup is never used on its own, as it sounds a bit weedy. So, could I have a MM pickup pickup with a coil tap? Or would I just have to use each pickup indpendently?(i mean, a MM Pickup will sound fat on it's own anyway). I'm never reselling this bass, just to make that clear.
  16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Wow, Nick!

How much does the spector you have cost?

I'm interested in a 6stringer and you seem to be more than happy with it..
  17. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    EMG do make an active musicman replacement pickup, so you could go the all EMG route. I think they have a new TW version of the MM pup, which would offer you the ability to select humbucking/single-coil mode using a push pull pot.

Also, if you do take the plunge, make sure you order them from the US, (I wish I had, my PJ5 set cost me £195! :eek: ) They are easy enough to fit, and only require three or four solder joints. EMGs tech support should be able to help you out with selecting a pre.
  18. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I disagree.
  19. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I agree with the staying with one type of pickup. I agree with no de-fretting. I told you they'd say that here :p

I'd go for MM/P and the BTC preamp. It's also going to cost you an arm and a leg mate. I reckon £100 each for the pups and probably £100 for the pre, and probably about another £100 for the work if you want it at the Gallery. I'm just second guessing, mind :)
  20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wouldn't throwing an MM in there be a really tight fit? That it'll either be too close to the bridge or too close to the P?