1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pimped my P this weekend ...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickles, May 1, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I picked up up an american '62 reissue here on TB a while back, and its a great bass. Light, resonant, no bad dead spots, and a seriously great looking bass. The tone was very vintage, the pickup was very bright and sweet. Sounded great for earth wind and fire, but I'm a rocker.

So I took the pickguard off, cranked down the truss rod to get the setup specs I like, and dropped in a Seymour Duncan "Hot for P-bass" (am I ever), and WOW ... reminded me why this is my favorite rock P pickup. It has an amazingly broad, deep, powerful tone with great balance through the mids. If you back off the tone control, the sound is huge without going murky. It just has a "strength" to the tone that I love from a P-bass.

The exposed polepieces are a drag, but I can deal with it for this tone. I love Duncan's passive pickups.

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Soundclips? I'm currently in the designing fase of my second bass, it will have a P and a MM, I'm really wondering how your new pickup sounds!

3. The P and MM positions overlap. You will have to move the MM closer to the bridge (or move the P). Either move will change the "sweet spot" where those pickups sound like themselves.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can try to record some clips this weekend, but my recording setup is pretty whack at the moment.