Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pimpin...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimbob, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    My 80's Japanese Squire is already tweaked with tuners, knobs, bridge and pick-ups. I love the thing and it sounds great but is fugly. I have ordered a new pickguard to get out of the white one and then I tripped across some old posts regarding LEDs and Lasers. In these posts, they were never followed up as far as people who bought a Fretlord product and how durable they are for live applications. I think that Laser is sweet and it is priced reasonable I think.

Thoughts?

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If it's a Japanese Squier from the 80s, chances are that his bass isn't really that crappy. Weren't Japanese Squiers made in the same factory that makes Japanese Fenders now?

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Well it seems that if its a Squire from the 80's that its already lasted him years and years and years.
    I would'nt do any of the laser or other stuff, but it sounds like you have a keeper there. I think its really cool when you can find a rather inexpensive bass and make it play as good as or better than a "expensive" overpriced one. I have a friend who has an 80's Japanese Squier jazz bass that is as good as a new USA one. It's beat to hell, but it is one sweet bass.
    Just don't massacre it with power tools like some other person did here on the forum.

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    "The right bass will last you years and years and years....and won't need any whoop-de-do add-ons."

Grumpy Post left up there :confused:

Alright Dad...I am the original owner and have had this bass for over 15 years...it's far from crap...it's just old and ugly. :eyebrow: Nice Bike...are they expensive ;) ?

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I guess I was just in a bad mood or something. Sorry about that. Post deleted.

I still think it's a waste of time to pimp out a Squier (you did ask for opinions, after all), but if the bass floats your boat, more power to you.

It does occur to me that you didn't really like the original all that much...you've replaced just about everything on it already.

I've got nothing against hotrodding basses (mine has all-new electronics and new pickups), but at some point it's not really worth dumping more money into the thing, right? If you haven't reached that point, then hey, go nuts.

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    adouglas - no problem :cool: I got most of the Mods done when I bought the bass...I had a Warmoth Parts bass I was using as a spare and had my local Luthier swap the Bridge and Tuners in exchange for the Warmoth Body and Neck. Several years later the pickups went south so I put EMG Selects in it. I am lucky in that the thing has lasted me a good long time. I probably have put $300 in the thing over the course of 15+ years. Not too Shabby :smug:

Powertool Mods??? I don't think I will look for those posts :rollno:

So, anybody have a thought about those LED's?