1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pimping a Bronco, Phase I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Apr 14, 2010.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    '51 P's are nice, but let's face it...real men play Broncos. :D

A few observations:

Bridge:
    The standard 2 1/4" string spacing Fender bridge works fine, plenty of room on the fretboard. My right hand has gotten used to that bridge, plus it has four saddles (not that there's anything wrong with the stock Bronco bridge). I had that bridge for a '51 P project, but I think it would be repetitive of some other stuff, so I'll go with a short scale version of that plan.

Pickup:
    I replaced the pickup with an Am Std Strat neck or middle pickup. I wanted to use the black covers and knobs which had been setting in a drawer for years. I was going to put the black cover on the Bronco pickup, but I think the cover is glued on. If your cover doesn't want to come off leave it there, bad things can happen if you try to pry it loose. The stock pickup sounded fine, btw. The pickguard needs to be shifted tothe left about 1/16" to center the pickup with the strings.

Tuners:
    I think Squier Affinity P Bass tuners (closed gear) will work with only having to redrill the little holes. I believe the bushings will fit the big holes. They're cheap and have a much larger ring gear than the Bronco tuners, plus they're clover leaf. I'll update on the headstock end when it happens.

Strings:
    I think it had EB RW's. I put on a used set of TI JF324s for the same reason I used the other parts, they were in a drawer. They sound real good, but I can't handle the light tension so I ordered some DT 760FM's.

This will end up with two pickups and a series option. The controls will look like they do now, but will do more. It'll get a 6-way rotary switch for pickup and cap selection, and a 500K p/p pot for master volume and series/parallel.

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Cool. I'd try to shoehorn in a couple of darkstars, but that's just me :smug:

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Squier Affinity P closed back tuners will work without redrilling the big holes.

The little holes might require some attention. On the P tuners two of the gear cover screws are short machine screws that hold the cover to the base, so only two of the little tuner screw actually screw into the headstock.

I've seen three sizes of these ring gears. The P's are large, about .550" dia. There's a middle size (shown), .50" that came on the bass. I've seen other Bronco gears that had a real tiny (.410")ring gear...maybe that's something they changed.

New P tuners can be had for under $25 including s/h on ebay. The P versions look stouter overall as well. I don't know if it would be worth it if you have the .5" gear, but definately worth it if you have the .410".

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Nice job. The Broncos are way underrated. I had the same idea as you but went more for a jazz configuration of pickups.

I guess I'm still a real man...

[​IMG]

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It looks manly to me, very nice.

6. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I'm going to eat quiche while playing a Bronco.

7. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    That black one is amazing! Me likes a lot.

Fred

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I modded a rewound '51 P RI pickup to work; super glued 6-32 nuts below the bottom flatwork so the height adjustment screws would work, and trimmed the top flatwork to clear the hole in the pickguard. Since the bridge was swapped to a standard size Fender bridge, I figured the '51 RI pickup would be a good choice (there just happened to be one in a drawer).

I had to enlongate the pickup mounting screw holes a bit (not beyond the countersink) to work with the MIA Strat pickup. Then I thought that the Bronco and '51 RI pickup might have close to the same dimension for the screws since they're both made overseas. They were close enough (unlike the Strat).

The Bronco is pimpin' hard.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Hey Glenn - Do you think you'll be able to post a sound clip or two? I would especially be interested in a before and after comparison.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I never learned how to program a VCR. Soundclips? Not in this lifetime. I really doubt there'll be any huge change in sound until the other pickup is added; the two in series will be about like a 15K HB and should sound pretty big.

I love the way the TI's sound, and hope the LaBellas sound almost as good. I've had pickups which sounded great with some strings and sounded so-so with other strings.

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Diggin' it so far Glenn !

I've been thinking of doing a similar project in the near future, so I'll be watching this thread !

:)

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks, DH.

The next thing I'll do is reposition the pickguard before I get ahead of myself.

13. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Paint it white and take it out on a police chase!

14. if it does not fit, you must acquit!

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    LOL By coincidence the neck pickup will be a blade (HB magnet sideways).

16. To GlennW , that gona be a really cool bronco!
    and

i love GassieBall's bronco , excellent stuff.

I've have a couple of broncos think they are excellent short scale basses.

17. this should be pretty cool!

I have always wanted to take a bronco and stick a humbucker out of a fender tele deluxe and a demarzio model one in the neck position and rock!

18. Broncos are cool little basses i could have got one for 60$ but was busy , i regret that .

19. I think having 3 pickups, a-la Strat, would be pretty sweet.

20. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Actually was all set to do that ala Fat Strat with some emg selects and mustang replacement bridge, gotoh tuners.... but found a Cort Action Jr in Walnut instead to work on. Short scale but a step up from the Bronco...

Attached Files: