1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"pimping out" a Squier P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clanner, Apr 13, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    here's whats going on my metallic Blue Squier P-bass.

Black chrome open gear tuners (any brand suggestions)
    Black chrome Leo Quan Badass III Bridge
    Black crome Knobs
    2 500K Pots
    Black 3-Ply Pick-Guard
    DiMarzio DP127 replacement P Pick-ups (White Covers)

tell me what you think.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds cool. Pics would help set the mood.:)

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    pimping out? i thought there was going to be tv's and rims on your bass...:meh:

-jimbo

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    her's a before pic of my squier, I'll need to gather up around $200 for the parts. may take a bit of time.

DSC00929.
    DSC00930.

5. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I've got a Highway 1 P bass that I'm pimping out with a tort guard, Badass II bridge, Hipshot D X-tender, and a chrome pickup cover. :)

6. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    at my guitar store the guy has bottle openers that you see at bars (there by fender, haha, so it's cool) ....i'd say you screw one of those babys right on the back of your bass. you can open your beer..or your coke anytime. plus, get some straplocks..black of course.

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'd go solid black not B/W/B pickguard.

8. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I chose the pick-guard so that the P-ups wouldn't look as awkward (White Covers)

9. hipshot drop d tuner, straplocks

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey tell me how the pick ups are. I was gonna buy some for my Squier, but bought a new Spector instead (which just came in today! Yeah! I just need to pick it up).

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I wouldn't get the BAIII unless you plan on modding the bass to have string-thru capabilities.

I'd go with hipshot ultralites for the tuners. There are some on my Glaub, and they're fantastic. +1 on the pickup cover. I'd get the D-tuner as well, if you need it.

Although I have no experience with this, have you thought of trying out some sort of Black Ice/diode onboard distortion? The concept is cool, but I have no idea how it sounds. :meh:

Have fun!

12. i wouldnt suggest doing it...

all i know is that everyone i know who has ever bought one thought it was retarded...

and you could buy the same parts at radioshack for like 5 bucks...

allright, what im about to suggest might make you hate me, but here goes...

get a new picguard, one thats not cut for pbass pickups... and cut a humbucker hole, and see if you can get a humbucker in there... if not, and you know someone with a router, they could route it.... Ive never seen it done on a pbass (dont get me wrong, it probably has been done before but just not common), and im pretty sure it could be done, so if you REALLY want to stand out, you could do that...

but, on the colors...

Im thinking all black on the hardware would be cool...

here... get a black bridge, black tuners,then do the black pickguard with black hardware... knobs and what not...

i mean, regardless wether or not you do the humbucker thing, im thinking against the white pickup covers...

black covers that cover up the polepieces would be cool... i like those alot...

anyways... have fun... and if you need help with that humbucker idea, feel free to pm me... it will depend on how your bass looks under the pickguard... so be ready to do some tinkering...

13. thats a sweet idea....

i need to do that on one of my basses... lol

14. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I recently bought a beat up Squire P bass special with a Bart P pickup off of ebay for $66.00. The previous owner (a skateboard shop) really did a job on this poor bass, it was drawn on with magic markers, the pickguard was broken, the wiring had issues and literally every screw in that bass was either stripped or really loose. I spent another $80.00 and got a new pickguard, had the wiring fixed (now the bridge position Carvin pickup works and sounds great) and i cleaned the bass up and replaced all the screws. This bass rocks!!! My bandmated could not believe how good it looked or sounded.

15. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    lol, i was gonna do it on my bass..untill i realized that i don't ever use a bottle opener...even though just the novelty of having one would be amazing

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Actually - I'd sell it, take the 2 bills and pickup up a used MIM. Then drop in a Lawrence P-46 (about $50) and a good set of strings. When the budget recovers, get that one pimped by having a very good luthier roll the edges of the neck and dres the fret ends. Check and maybe re-do the nut. If your string choice is other than that from the factory, it maybe that a new nut will improve the tuning stability.

This won't be flashy, but you'll end up with a great playing sleeper of a bass. The basics you're staring with in a Squire aren't worth upgrading in my opinion.

When the budet recovers after all that, by all means the Hipshot Ultra lights. Nicest tuner on the planet!

17. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    thanks for the suggestions on the tuners, They're offered in black right? I'm going to replace the nut for cosmetic reasons.

okay, 3 hipshot ultra lights and a hipshot detuner (used to drop to D) Black nut, and any idea where to get a black string tree?

I played several basses (including MIM fenders) and liked this one the best, it just felt the best. I bought this bass mainly to just tinker with and add things to make it interesting.

why would I need to make the bass thru-body for the badass III? it accoodates thru-bridge aswell.

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You wouldn't have to. I was just wondering if you planned on drilling for string-thru since you planned on getting the BAIII.

I could see how you might want the BAIII for the pre-slotted saddles, but it isn't too hard to file the saddle yourself and save some money.

Just my thrifty $0.02. :D

19. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    don't plan just yet. I just like the way the Badass III looks and there's that since of, "it's the newest one" thing.

i may end up swelling my one and only fiver to support this and other projects down the road, or I may make sure I have funds to buy another fiver first. we'll see.

peace

20. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I agree that in general MIM Fenders are better in quality than Squire's but the cheapy Squire I modded cost me $151.00 total and that included; shipping ($35.00), a new pickguard ($25.00)and repairs to the basses wiring ($30.00)(done by a qualified tech). This bass had replacement pickups, a Bart P and a Carvin Jazz so I did not have to replace the stock pickups (a must). The bass has a jazz profile neck that feels really good and the bass is generally easy and alot of fun to play. The bass sounds great, certainly much better than any stock MIM I have ever heard and it was very inexpensive. I think it comes down to how much you plan on putting into it after purchase and how professional it really needs to be in order to suit your' needs.