Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pinch harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jay, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    How do you do 'em? I searched TB and found nothing...if someone could tell me or find a thread on it, I'd be much obliged....:D

2. Yeah i'd like to know too. As with many things its probably simple. lol Although a challenge would be nice. :p

Merls

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...ya talking about the thing that guitarist do? Like in the ZZ Top's "La Grange" solo by Billy Gibbons?
    (Supposedly, Roy Buchanon "invented" this technique when he made a mistake by inadvertly getting too much skin/flesh into the equation as he picked a solo).
    Anyway, holding my bass as I type, I'm using my thumb & index finger pinched together(kinda tight)as if I'm holding a pick. I hear TWO ways of pulling it off-
    1)"Strum"(I know "...you don't strum a bass"!)DOWNWARDS while sorta pinching the G-string.
    2)""Pick" UPWARDS, catching the string with the corner of your index finger's nail. The plucking hand/arm acts as a mute(the method I'm tryin').

I guess the "trick" is to get enough of an attack with either the fingernail or pinch or plectrum COMBINED with just enough of your skin to create the "mistake". ;)

NOT a technique I've ever used...I do remember tryin' this way back when I played more guitar than I do now; a heckuva lot easier to show vs. describing.

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Thanks...(I kinda forgot I had asked this question.) Silly me.

For the life of me, I can't do it! :D :confused:

5. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    i strum my bass.

?

iggy

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...a Danny Partridge fan? ;)
    (& if you're not old enough or haven't seen the VH-1 special on The Partridge Family...that comment won't make sense).

7. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    i sed that bc the person who posted on here sed that u dont strum a bass lol :p

iggy

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    OK...my bad...I was presumptuous in my saying that I couldn't do it. I can, I just have to try real hard. Pretty useless though, at least I think so......

9. In Berklee, I took a class on bass techniques and this one came up. I only use them when playing solos with my guitarist (progressive/virtuoso metal) and I do them by fingering the G string very hard and letting the knuckle of my middle finger (or my ring finger) touch the string at its node point very lightly. The result is a note that sounds halfway like a harmonic and halfway like the note. This technique is used by guitarists like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, but I've yet to find a bassist who had a real use for it.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey "Virtuoso",

Steve Bailey uses them a lot to good effect.

"Virtusoso Metal"...what ego? :rolleyes:

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    virtuoso?
    my idea of vistuoso is not so good. sorry but i think a virtuoso is a masturbator of self ego. please note that my idea is not against you or any kind of music.
    i only want to know if these bass players (my main influences) are considered in your opinion virtuosi.

roger glover
    gary thain
    john paul jones
    jack bruce
    paul mccartney
    felix pappalardi
    lemmy kilmister
    steve harris
    geddy lee

thanks.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    oops i forgot
    gene simmons

13. I do not feel any of these people are virtuosos with maybe the exception of Geddy Lee and John Paul Jones (in his own right). I call it virtuoso metal, because we take a theoretical approach to writing our own music and instead of playing what comes to mind we plan out a song in its entirety on a MIDI compositional computer program. It is very much in the style of Vai and Satriani (my guitarist is gifted) and our normal songs last atleast 10 minutes each.

Very inaccessible music!!

14. Steve Bailey uses "artificial harmonics" not "pinch harmonics". Believe me, I met him when he did a clinic at Berklee.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    hey,how come you have Claypool and Wooten listed as previously owned gear? did you kidnap them?

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Artificial harmonics and pinch harmonics are essentially the same thing. Achieved the exact same way. And i dont have to go to Berklee to know that. ;)

And how does that make it "virtuoso metal"? Because you think of yourself _somewhat_ highly?

17. Artificial harmonics are full harmonics. Pinch harmonics are combination of the actual fretted note and the harmonic (an octave above)

18. It's called "virtuoso music" because "eccentric people who could care less about people liking their music" was already taken. Plus it is a bit easier to say.

19. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Isn't this the same method Jaco used in the intro to Birdland? Or am I mistaken? I rest my thumb in front of the index finger, which plucks the harmonic.

20. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a Billy Sheehan vid and he does this the same way rob mentioned...

Put your right thumb on the string, then pluck with yer index... work at it a little and you'll get some mad ringeriffic tones.
    CHEERS