Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pinch harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    how the hell do u do these?

i was listening to birdland and jaco gets harmonics everywhere! how do you do these please?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    artificial harmonics are done like this:

You fret a note a note, e.g. the high C on the 12th fret (g-string) and you put the side your right hand thumb on the string at the 24th fret like you would when you'd play a natural harmonic with your fefthand fingers. You divide the string in the middle with the thumb to hit the 1st harmonic node (An approximation, escpecially with lower notes is: 12 frets up).
    Use your index and/or middle finger to pluck the string.
    If you play different notes you have to move your right hand in parallel, because the position of that node shifts accordingly.

Instead of using the thumb you can touch that node with your right hand index finger and pluck the string with middle and ring finger (a la Steve Bailey).

Hope I could make myself clear. :)

Pinch harmonics are a different thing IMO and are usually played on the guitar. You brush the string with the side of the thumb on a pick downstroke. The thumb hits the string just after the pick and creates the harmonic.
    Billy Sheehan for example utilizes this using the the fingernail of the right hand index finger as a pick.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

JMX is right of course - just to clarify, it is the technique with the side of the thumb that Jaco is using on Birdland and this technique is usually known as "artificial" or "false" harmonics - the "pinch" thing is more usually associated with guitarists rather than bass players.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    k i am soooo lost by that technique bit, so how do u do artificial harmonics then?