Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinch Me, I'm Dreaming!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 13, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Wow, I haven't been this happy in a long time, I've got a perma-smile on my face. Last night, I played at a Battle of the Bands near my home town. We played pretty much perfectly, and there was some stiff competition. We didn't win. "Then what's he so happy about?" you ask?

Well, after we got off stage, said hi to our friends, et cetera, a woman came up to me and my guitarist and said she'd like to talk to us for a moment. It turns out, the woman is a representative from EMI records, and works with the likes of Billy Talent and alexisonfire. She said that she thought our band was amazing, and she would like to manage our band, and eventually sign us (we are too young to sign anything right now).

Here's what we will get if we sign the contract (well, if our parents sign it):

• professional studio time
    • a free equipment upgrade
    • dinner/hanging out with Billy Talent
    • paying gigs, for many more people than we are used to
    • eventually, tours including the Warped Tour

There's actually more stuff, but I can't remember right now. There are also many things that worry me, including that my school marks may silp. I do care about my education, and want to go to University, so I can't let that happen. Also, the lady said that when we go into the studio, the producer will tell us straight up whether or not he likes the music. If he says no, we have to write until he is satisfied. This one especially worries me, because I don't want to write music that isn't mine. I don't wanna write just to please some label guy. I'm really happy about the equipment upgrade thing though. When we were talking, she said "Is that the only equipment you guys have?". After replying in the affirmative, she said we'd have to go music shopping. At no cost to us.

Still, I would like some feedback from you guys here, as many of you are experienced musicians. Have you faced a situation like this? How did you handle it? I really need some advice, so any replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :)

Peace,
    Graeme

2. Watch out, and get a lawyer to read through the contract before you sign anything. Don't let free equipment lure you into a bad deal.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, I've read that before, kinda scary. That article was one of the first things I thought of after I got over my initial exitement. I'm definatley going to be contacting a lawyer, and our parents will be involved as well. Is it true that there is such thing as a special 'music lawyer', or will any old lawyer do? Thanks again.

Graeme

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Jeez, it looks like Ajax is the new music capital of Canada.

Congrats on the opportunity. Just be careful liek the others said. If you play it smart, this could be very cool for your band. :bassist:

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There are lawyers who deal specifically with the entertainment industry. I would advise tracking one down, even if it means going outside the city you live in.

Definitely don't get suckered in by the equipment upgrade. The money for that is essentially a loan which is coming out of your future earnings.

Also keep in mind that for a while now the music industry has been such that it's tough to make money at it without being extremely careful and a hard bargainer. In the last few years it's gotten even worse, if you believe some of the artists and industry pros. Always remember that if you're playing because you love it, you'll never be let down but if you're playing for the money you probably will be.

Oh, and read "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" by Jacob Slichter, the drummer for Semisonic.