Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinched Nerve Maybe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stephanie, Dec 21, 2002.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    For the past few days I've been having some kind of spasm in the muscle on the side of my right hand. (On the pinky side kind of going down towards the wrist). It would do this all day, several times in an hour. And I'm sure it does it all night as well. I've been having trouble practicing because it has just tired my fingers out. I'm thinking maybe I pinched a nerve? It's quite possible I may have done something to myself LOL. I've complained to my teacher about tension in my pinky and ring finger, just feeling quite stiff as I played and I've tried to relax. I never used these fingers in playing and they tend to "claw up" as the other fingers are plucking.

The only thing, though, is I would get this elsewhere, like in my legs. After the holiday, if I can scrape up the money, I will get it checked out. I was just wondering if anyone knew what this could possibly be or has had some similar experience?

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. I've had some aches and pains in my hands and muscles tightening up, but all I've had to do was stretch and it would go away.

I hope whatever you have gets better. :(

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Might be charley horse, which I get occasionally (annoying as heck, too!)

That doesn't sound like a pinched nerve - I had that (I'm pretty sure, anyway) and that involved numbness in my hands but not spasms...

Hope it gets better!

4. scrape up the money eh? god its good to live in Canada:D

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey I think I can help here. I had the same problem and had it checked out by a physiotherapist.

turns out I had a jammed scafoid (spelling??) bone in my wrist which hinders the hinge that allows it to move. Too much slapping apparently. But because that part of the wrist has no pain receptors, I didn't notice the muscles and tendons working overtime.

Eventually the muscles and tendons start to swell a little and do in fact put pressure on a nerve that causes the smasms.

The treatment was actually pretty simple - ICE! Use an Ice pack on the wrist for 10 mins a day until it goes. Than use it as needed. If it's severe (which it doesn't seem to be) you may been ultrasound and some physical manipulation as well but I don't think you're at that stage yet.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well, it seems to not be as bad (*crosses fingers*). The muscleso only twitched a little yesterday and not at all today yet LOL. There really is no pain anywhere in the hand. Maybe a tired kind of pain from playing a while but I stop and not let it get worse.

As for what Petebass said, I'm not a slapper or anything like that, but maybe I have done something to my wrist or hand. *shrugs*

Thanks everyone :)
    Stephanie