Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pine and masonite bass!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Monkey, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just finished an ultra-cheap experiment, and it turned out well!

I bought a Danelectro Hodad for $99 a couple of years ago, but hated the body shape and balance. For giggles, I gutted it and glued up a semi-hollow body out of 2x4's, and covered the front and back with masonite. I used an old Jazz-style defretted neck with Carvin tuners, and used the three lipstick pickups and electronics from the Dano. I made a bridge out of cocobolo with a Micarta saddle.

I just plugged it in, and besides the need for some tweaking, it sounds good! It certainly balances better. It was good practice.

Anybody out there made cheap, cheesy basses that actually sounded good?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    fender/squier sure has.

how about some pictures?

3. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    There was a guitar from the early 60s called a silvertone which was made of masonite.

Also I used to have a 5 string which was made of MDF , it actually sounded very even and surprisingly good.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'll try to get ahold of a digital camera and post some pics. I had a ball playing it last night, and really can't believe the good sound. I also like the Dano electronics; you can get every possible combination of the three pickups.

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That sounds like alot of fun.

I've got some spare parts and some 2x4's in the backyard.

Really though, that is cool.

6. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    What you've done is re-invent the original Danelectro body from the '50s and '60s. Their bodies were made from pine frames with masonite tops and backs. The masonite Sears Silvertones were made by Danelectro.

Good ideas never die.