Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ping brand tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sampoerna, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I went to a local music shop to look for replacement tuners for my '96 Squier P-Bass. They offer "Ping" brand tuners for $32.99 and they will be an easy, drop-in installation. The gentleman with whom I spoke said that he was pleased with their results, as were his other customers, when seeking a low-cost, no-drill upgrade.

The reasons I'm replacing the stock ones are 1.) they slip out of tune, 2.) while tuning, the knobs will often turn without actually pulling the strings, and 3.) I think my A tuner is the perpetrator of a mysterious rattle that plagues me from time-to-time.

Anyone tried these or even heard of them? I searched on AltaVista, but didn't find much other than a few other shops that sold them for guitars. They have the same shape as mine, but the spiral that turns the gear teeth looks "tighter" than mine.

Much appreciated,

2. For good quality tuners look for either Schaller or Gotoh tuners. Schaller tuners are pretty good quality, look for Schaller BMFL tuners. I have no experience with Gotoh tuners, though the Gotoh #201 bridge is very good IMO.

Bert

3. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Thanks for the input, Treb!

I agree that Schaller and Gotoh keys would be great, but I'm looking for something a bit more "economical"...this is a Squier, after all. :) The more I think about the Ping tuners, the more I'm convinced I'll get 'em -- they're in-stock locally, inexpensive, and I would like to get a relationship going with this store. I'm sure the Pings are pretty cheap, but if they'll hold the strings in place better than my current ones for even just a couple of years, I'll be a happy gal.

I've looked at the Gotoh 201 bridge and am quite impressed with it, as well. But the local dealer will sell me a new Leo Quan Badass II for $49.00, and I think I'll go with it...I believe I'll like the more massive bridge.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I stuck a Badass II on a cheapie Yamaha RBX260F (fretless, 1 P-pup, alder body).
    Hang on to that teensy-weensy Allen wrench! I am very happy with the results.
    It was a piece of cake to install too. It seems like a little overkill though.
    Part of the bridge hangs over the bottom of the bass. But it's my "Frankenstein"
    project anyways. Where'd Frankie be without his bolts? :p

The P-pup was replaced with a DiMarzio Split-P. It's now got a really clean,
    "balanced" sound. The keys aren't that bad. They seem to hold tune.
    I do have a set of Hipshot Ultra-lites ready to go. For the price of one of them
    you can get a SET of 4 Schallers :rolleyes:

5. I had Squier J-bass in the 1980's, sounded like crap despite EMG's, a BadAss2 and Schaller BMFL's, but hey it was a cheap bass before I upgraded it!

Seriously now, I'd buy the Schallers (good quality at a fair price) besides what good is bass that doesn't stay in tune?

BadAss? Bad experience! I had one on a Tokai Lawsuit J-bass and didn't like it. It's a big ugly chunk of metal, the BadAss has a major drawback, no string grooves. You have to cut the saddles or have someone do it for you... I prefer the Gotoh #201, cheap, sturdy, no hassle direct replacement bridge with the advantage of the near stock look.

Bert

6. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    But, to his original question, does anyone have any experience with the pings? i'm considering getting some myself

7. Ping tuners are about the same as what comes stock on most imported entry level basses and guitars...

if your looking for a decent low cost tuner replacement....i say go with Wilkinson....you can pick up a set for about $40.00 give or take, and thay are much better than the Ping IMHO

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wieleartuch.html

BobbyLeeP likes this.
  8. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Thank you for the comparison! Althought for only $20 bucks difference before shipping for the Wilkinsons, I may just spring for the Schallers whenever I order the neck from warmoth..

9. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    Ping=junk. They're what most likely came on the bass originally. Ping is what Squire regularly uses. Good low cost=Wilkensons