Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ping: SMASH, howabout some pics of your 74'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    IIRC, lake placid blue with tort guard and creme DiMarzio model J's? I'm 1000% certain it's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hopefully he'll see it.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Very pimpin' bass... gotta love white pickups! :bassist:

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for the pics, and Bidness, thanks for the link. I just wanted to see that bass again, it stuck in my head as a really cool color scheme (especially with the creme PU's) and overall great looking. SMASH, you're right...the color is just a hair lighter than standard LPB but it's close. Brian Barrett has a tort/LPN jazz V on his site (used) that's also great looking, but the maple/blocks and creme PU's send yours over the top! Nice.

5. Dammit!!! These basses are beautiful. the lake placid one is beautiful. the White one is just the "Classiest Fender Ever" and fretless P is lovely. :cool:

I love these basses.:hyper:

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    SMASH,

You are the man, thanks for the pics! They both look tremendously hip with much "pimp appeal". The '74 is outrageously pimping "fo sho". What kind of replacement neck is on the white bass? I think my GAS for something really retro looking is reaching critical levels. If you've got time, howabout comparing the 74 to the Valenti, sonically?

Will

7. Let's see. Smash has lots of Fenders and I love Fenders. I'm liking this thread!

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    That bass does look killer. Diggin' blue Jazzes lately.

So....umm...should I slap a red tort. guard on my bass?

[​IMG]

I'm very badly coveting Smash's collection. That's one beautiful fretless P from the other thread.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Oh yeah!

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Get a tort guard on there NOW!!

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Word. I'll take one that has been resonating daily for 30 years over something that has been sitting in its case unused. I don't look at them, I play them. My upright has 75 years of scars (or wrinkles)...patches, probably 50 repaired cracks, cleats, and evindence from all the revarnishing and repair jobs. There are 5 labels from repairmen if you look in the f-hole, and those are only the ones who left their mark. I wouldn't have it any other way. The really old basses (150+) have even more character.

This thread is REALLY making me want to call and get that 1970 J I was playing last year in Austin. It's still at the shop where I was checking it out, nice bass and tons of mojo.

Oop, saw you just posted the review/comparison. Thanks for that as well. I also find that the older Fenders have that low mid punch and muted high end (not sure why, other than the PU's browning) while the newer active and passive J's have that wirey-percussive cut to them without the deep low-mids.