1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ping when fretting notes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, May 21, 2011.

1. Can someone tell me what may be causing a ping sound when notes are fretted? It's a pingy, metallic sound created when the string contacts the frets. In the past, I've fixed this by getting twists out of strings. I've done that but still getting the problem.

BTW, it's mainly an acoustically heard sound. It's not too noticeable through the pickups.

2. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Ping? Like a harmonic? Or like the sound of metal hitting metal?

3. A combo of the two. Maybe it's high action. The extra travel to fret the note is requiring more force. So, it's sounding more like a hammer-on instead of just fretting.

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    ^^^^This. Anything that excites the string and makes it vibrate will make a sound.

mech

5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    You might be hearing the sound of the note produced by the small amount of string behind your fretting finger. Try a scrunchie on around the first fret and see if it goes away. As long as it doesn't come thru the amp who cares right?

6. True, it's nothing to worry about since it's not in the signal, but I'm curious why it happens. Various instruments have done it and it has something to do with the strings & setup.

7. Yes, it's the string length between the nut and fretted note. Now, I'm wondering if the grooves in the nut are too low and that's why I'm being forced to set the action high to avoid buzz. I will try some shims and see if that helps. If so, I'll replace the nut.

8. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    No matter if the action is high or low, any un-muted portion of string will sound when excited. If you put your ear on the upper horn of the body and gently depress a string to a fret, you will hear the "ting" of metal to metal contact and the notes made by both sections of the string. If the other strings are not muted they may also vibrate and create sound. In an acoustic situation the ting is more noticeable. With amplification, the "ting" is less noticeable but is still part of the attack of the note. The harder a note is fretted the louder it is.

Sounds like you need a setup. I recommend reading the sticky at the top of this forum. The setup will not get rid of the "ting" or the vibration of the section of string between the fret and the nut. The ting will always be there. Muting and technique will take care of the other.

mech