1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pink burger meat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 31, 2006.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I ordered a cheeseburger for dinner tonight. The meat was rather pink on the inside, but I didn't think much of it. At least til I was done eating.

Am I pretty much guaranteed to get food poisoning now? Aren't restaurants supposed to use meat thermometers to check for doneness?

Vince

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I say relax. I eat burgers that are pink on the inside all the time, if you trust the place you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure that's considered medium-rare.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, that's medium-rare to rare. Don't worry about it. Even if you ask for a burger medium, it may have some pink in the center, same for steaks.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Prepare for the mad cow!!!!

[​IMG]

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Interesting word. :eyebrow:

Usually, good burger joints only thoroughly cook burgers when the meat is already been around a while.

I'd say you got some fresh beef in your burger. No biggie.

6. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    problem wit h mad cow is. even if its cooked. u can get it.

scientists sfeel howeverr that its a building up of large amounts of those "prions" over time, not just one instance of exposure.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Yes, but only if you're consuming brain or spinal material.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was making a bad joke about the general level of knowledge re: raw meat:mad cow. Sorry. :D

also I thought the .gif was funny.

11. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Mad cow, swine flu, alar, what's next Bird flu?
    Oh.... ummm... nevermind

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GAAAAAA! Scientists' "feelings" are irrelevant. Society is interested in their findings of FACT.

This one drives me nuts. Every once in a while I'll be reviewing a report (not one of ours) in which the engineer or scientist says something like, "We feel the risk of a tsunami affecting the site is low." Our clients aren't paying to know our feelings. They want to know our opinions based on facts. Same with other scientists.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you could choose between being the top scientist in your feild or having mad cow disease, which would ya pick?

15. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You should be OK. With hamburger, I tend to ask for medium-well that way if they are a little short, I'll get medium. If it is not cooked enough, send it back - its your gastro-intestinal tract at risk not the cook's or the waiter's.

With steaks, I've always gone with medium-rare.

The problem with burger meat is that more of it comes into contact with stuff and there is a higher chance of something nasty getting into the middle of your hamburger and if not cooked thoroughly, then making you sick. Since steak is solid - you don't have to worry about the middle of the meat so much.

FWIW - I use doneness.

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    If you ate a pink burger at a fast food place, watch out.
    If you ate one where they grind their own beef, it's probably OK.

For this incident, I'd be more worried about E. coli rather than mad cow (variant Creutzfeldt-Jacob) disease.

You'd probably know by now if anything were wrong.

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Pink is fine. Red is usually okay. Blue is where I'd be concerned.

Don't be such a wimp! :p

18. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    as far as I know since a burger is ground the inside has to be cooked to remove all the pink since harmful bacteria are inside the raw burger. But a steak can have pink or redness in the middle because all the bacteria you have to worry about killing are killed when you cook the outside of the steak.

I'm no expert though I just saw a thing about ecoli and the like on 20/20 or 60 minutes or one of those shows.

19. Pink is good, MMmmmmm.....pink meat burgers.

Personally, bloody is where I draw the line. I was in New York and stopped in a Burger Heaven (I think) and got just that. It was a big home made style burger that was really only cooked on the outside. The closer I got to the middle of the burger, it got bloody. My buddy got the same thing and sent his back, I just ate around the middle of mine.

His was much worse, when he bit into it I let out a big bovine "Mooooo". I'm almost sure the cooks in the back heard me. He may have gotten a little something extra with that burger when he got it back. :eek: :D

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Our new band name! :hyper: Thank you!