1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pink burger meat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 31, 2006.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The best part about naming your band "Pink Burger Meat" is that when you change guitarists, you can just shorten it to "Burger Meat."

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm a cook. My personal burger is done when the inside temp reaches 155F for at least one minute. The internal color is irrelevant IMO save as a rough gauge of doneness.

IIRC the HAACP/food safety minimum is 155F @ 15 seconds.

Disclaimer: This is for US FDA meats only. Everything I eat abroad (including Canada) must be well done.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You cook the meat until the inside reaches a certain temperature. This doesn't mean that the meat there has turned colour. Burgers can be properly (safely) cooked and still be pink in the center.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    When i eat elk burgers or venisen i usually have burgers very pinkish inside. You will be fine, its not a huge problem if its in good burger place and it taste better!

5. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    If the beef was ground in a meat processing plant (pre-made frozen or fast-food patties), then I would recommend it to be well cooked. If it was ground onsite (like DIYs, local groceries or better restaurants), it’s probably safer, but I would not take the chance. If I wanted rare, I would get a steak or prime rib. The food industry does not see E. coli in ground beef as (their) contamination problem (which is wide spread) but a cooking (our) problem (just like salmonella in eggs).

Meat processing plants once batch processed their ground beef, making contamination and tracing easier (limiting the number of cows, recording them and cleaning the equipment between batches). Now they use a continuous process, which is cheaper and faster because there is no need for cleaning between batches (they just let it run and run and run). They hope the meat never says or sticks to one place for a long time in this process (self-cleaning using the meat itself :eek: ). This makes tracing bad cows difficult if not impossible. Continuous processed patties may typically have meat from 100 different cows (maybe more if the some pieces get stuck). It just takes a small E. coli exposure to this process or one bad cow to contaminate a patty. Knowing this I would still occasionally eat fast-food burgers. Gotta eat!

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    If it's not pink inside, it's overdone!

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm...you didn't feel well from that, I didn't feel too well from a garbage plate I ate today. Mad good, until I finished eating...then my stomache didn't agree.

Was kind of fun though, cuz for 3 bucks I never get fed that much.

Beans are like ughhhhh...:p

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I can't believe that people still eat the famous garbage plate in Rochester.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Psssh.

It was my first time, and I wasn't at Nick Tahoe's. I was just ya know, working at Wegmans, and it was $3 for a plate and all proceeds went to United Way.

Hamburger+Fries+Macaroni salad+potato salad+beans+hot sauce/with meat.

As much as I enjoyed it, it may kill me next time. I'm looking forward to it though...erm, next time being after I lose weight for vault, which doesn't seem to be happening :p

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

The old garbage plate used to be a bit of whatever was on the grill at any given time. It led to some very interesting combos.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ground beef must be properly cooked. Ground beed is like hotdogs, if you knew how it was made and what's in it, you wouldn't want to eat it.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Eh, Ground beef is nothing like hotdogs.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I couldn't agree with you more.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    pwned.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I know how they're made and I like 'em both!! :)

It's cookies that aren't cooked all the way through that I can't take!! :rollno:

:ninja:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is ridiculous. How many burgers are sold in the U.S. every day? How often do you hear about a couple people getting sick from improperly cooked meat? The rarity of these occurrences is a tribute to the safety of food products in the United States. Americans have come to expect that not a single person will ever get sick due to unsanitary conditions. In this country, the number of people who get sick from eating undercooked meat is approximately equal to zero, when you consider that millions of burgers and other animal delicacies are served each day. Think about the people in second and third-world countries who just don't have the resources to deal with this kind of public health issue. They probably haven't taken a solid dump more than twice in their entire lives.

Dude. You're going to be fine.

17. Real men don't have time go cook meat.

:D

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Food makes people poop. That's a conclusion to eating.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Its the only reason i eat.

20. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    He's right, if you're not sick by now you're OK.

Never thought of that before nor asked them about it. Americans should be proud of their many solid dumps. :D

BTW. How many times do people get sick from food, go to the hospital and get it reported by the government? Me never. I just get sick, recover and stay away from the restaureant unitl I forget about how bad it was. Gotta eat ya know!