Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pink Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Aug 30, 2003.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Well I just got by bass setup and Im quite happy with it for the most part...but...now after having the fingerboard plained I see pink spots in the wood. Is this because the board is cheap or what?? There are also a few rough spots...like little tiny holes. Is this something that will go away or hurt the bass or sound in any way?? Thanks for your help

2. the pink spots are probably just natural color variations in the wood... you could dye it like a lot of people do, but I'd just leave it alone. So what if looks a little funny... As for the holes? Maybe a bit of grain tearout from where it was planed... one of our luthiers would probably know better than I. I wouldn't think it'd affect playability much though; once you play the bass for a few months they'll get filled with dead skin anyway. gross eh... :p

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Pure black ebony is getting more expensive all the time. I've been told that some striped varieties are actually harder, don't know for sure, but as species become rarer it seems that the name use becomes much broader, like rosewood has :)

Black leather dye (the real stuff leather workers would use) is commonly used for fingerboards. I picked up a bottle from Stew-Mac (www.stewmac.com) and have used it with great success.

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    It's not uncommon for us to ship some of our fractional student basses with stripy boards. We don't dye them, but I know that alot of the dealers will to head off teachers' questions. If you look at a crosscut of an ebony log, it's black in the center and lightens to red and white to the outside. I think if your board is stable (not warping every time you leave the house), be happy.:)

5. DRAGGINEDDIE
    I look at things like that as adding character. My Swingmaster has several little pink streaks up one edge. Goes nicely with some of the scars, scratches, and dents she is beginning to accumulate.

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    John's right. There's huge variations in coloring of ebony and ebony types. What counts though is how straight the grain is.