1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pink Floyd - "Echoes"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ox, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Has anyone heard this song? It's off of 1971's "Meddle"

it's quite trippy in some parts.

I first listened to it in pitch darkness; and I swear I could hear the song hours after first I listened to it. :eek:

So what are your opinions on this Pink Floyd Epic?

2. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    It is a great song. May I suggest you buy or rent "Live at Pompeii" and make sure you get the OLD version and not the new one. It's a live concert pink floyd did at Pompeii with no audience. And they played Echoes. It's mind blowing. The entire concert is really, really intense.

Meddle is a great album, also with the famous "ONe of these Days"

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    one of my fav Floyd tunes. The live version off 'Live at Pompeii" is amazing

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I can hear the opening "bing" in my head just reading about it. Incidentally, that sound is a piano through a mic'ed Leslie. Very killer epic.

The most remarkable thing about the song is that this is where Andrew Lloyd Weber "borrowed" his famous Phantom of the Opera riff. It pissed off Roger to the point that he wrote the following lyrics in his solo song "It's a Miracle"

We cower in our shelters
    With our hands over our ears
    Lloyd Webber's awful stuff
    Runs for years and years and years

:p

5. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    It's one of those songs where really feel the emotion through the music. You can get lost in the song and go on a huge emotional ride. It really is a magnificient song.

6. Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out! :bassist:

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The "Phanton of the Opera" bit kicks in at 3:43

8. dudemanvic

dudemanvic

Mar 14, 2007
    my guitarist and i actually jam on this song a lot, especially lately,amazing song, definitely one of my favorites!

9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It use to be a staple on trips deep into the wilderness, driving along on a two lane on a misty overcast day miles from civilization to some wilderness outpost, most often under the influence of some goodness from mother nature, wink wink

10. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels

Pink floyd? who dat? sounds like some tripped out jazz musicians;)

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dave Gilmour has a DVD release has a wonderful rendition of this song done by his band featuring Richard Wright (RIP) on keys and vox.

12. back in the early eighties a bunch of friends and i went and saw laser floyd, a laser show at the planetarium in toronto. i already owned the meddle lp and was hoping they would play echoes and they did. it was very cool ( bit primitive now ) but sitting in the dark listening to the music of floyd on a killer system with the lasers swirling all around was a very trippy experience.

13. its good to see that even now it has the same effect on people as it did in its 'day' (like it will ever be limited by time) not that i was there, i wasnt even born till 1980.

if you must copy the seagull effect its a jim dunlop wah wired backwards feeding back with single coils..... it wont work with any hum cancelling pickups at all (be it standard buckers or the likes of lace sensors)

echoes is a truly amazing piece of psychedelia

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Side B of Meddle! :D

Love it, but the Pompeii version is, in my opinion, the definitive.

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The cover band, Wish You Were Here, played this live in Cleveland. It gave me goose bumps.

Definitely a must see band for any Pink Floyd fan.

16. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    The song that finally convinced me to buy a strat and a good fuzz box/delay.

The pompeii version is, as everyone else has been saying, amazing. Watch the video, its soo good.

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I have a serious love/hate relationship with all these Floyd cover bands. The Machine is the best example: they absolutely nail the sound of the band, but they jam and go off on solos in ways the original group would have never done, and it really sucked me out of the experience.

18. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    IMHO this was their best song.

19. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I LOVE Echoes. And the entire Meddle album, for that matter. Meddle was the first Pink Floyd album I heard/owned. I love the 'groove' part of the song about 1/3 of the way in. I agree with "Live in Pompeii" being essential viewing- that version of Echoes is probably the best they ever played live.

Never did get a chance to see Pink Floyd live, but I caught the Machine in Raleigh back in January. They did Echoes- and tore it down. Great concert. If you're really into Floyd, I suggest giving these guys a listen.

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats not how these guys were. Straight up everything. My pops was with me, and he had every record, t-shirt, etc., and he said if he closed his eyes it was like being at the real concert he went to years ago.