Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pink Floyd - Money

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rfalter, Aug 31, 2005.

1. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    Not sure where to post this question but here goes ...
    We are working on Money at the moment. The bass line is really simple in this song, but my problem is the time signature. I know the beginning is 7/4 and the guitar lead is in 4/4. There are parts during the 1st two verses where 7/4 doesn't fit. I am playing sax on this one and I need to count the measures to get the timing right.

Has anyone seen the sheet music for this song ? I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. (too cheap to buy the songbook :) )

2. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Starting with the phrase "New car caviar..." in verse one (fifth bar of the verse) you've got two bars 4/4 time over an F#minor chord and one bar of Eminor in 6/4 time. Repeat ina all the other verses as well. Hope this helps

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It is all written in 7/4 except the guitar solo.

Two bars of 4/4 and a bar of 6/4 = 14/4 = 2 bars of 7/4, no?

I think that what's throwing you is that the swing just goes away for two bars (of 7/4) starting with "new car…"
    So there is 14 strait beats (no swing) - like this:

new car cav-iar four star day (7 beats) dream, think I'll buy me a foot-ball (7 beats) team (team is on the down beat of the main riff)

Edit - FWIW I believe that the Hal Leonard song books defines the 7/4 things as a bar of swing 4/4 + a bar of strait 3/4 (or something like that) - I count the main riff like: 1 2 and 3 4 1 2 3