Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Discuss. I want to know a few questions, when did they start-end?
    Where are they now? How did they breakup/did they break up? I really think there good instrumentalist. What is there best album? anyway any comments on the band would be great. Thanks.

2. http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/history.html

The best album is subjective, but I prefer "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here". The "Live At Pompeii" recording is awesome - it is available on dvd.

Just about every song after 1968 seems to be about Syd Barrett.
    If you listen to them exclusively, over an extended period of time, you will become very depressed.

3. Well, lets start with introducing the band.....David Gilmour- Vocals and Guitar, hes the better vocalist and has peircing blues guitar solos, decent songwriter too. Richard Wright-Keys, good keyboard player- dont know much about him. Nick Mayor(?)-Drums , good drummer. Roger Waters- bass and vocals, the dryer vocals and better songwriter, decent bass player.Syd Barrett- Guitar , Vocals, Genius madman, only in the band for a short time, was brain dead after too much LSD, crazy, yet brilliant

They started in the 60s and have gone on since the 80s i believe. Each album is different in its own way .

4. Nick Mason on drums.

5. Mason, yeah thats it, Thanks. I knew it was something with an M.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's why I'm not a big Pink Floyd fan. I admire them so much. I think no other band sounds like them live. So perfect to be true. There are several PF tunes in my rock band's set list and I enjoy them, but if only they had a better mood...

My favorite PF tune, because to me is the only one that sounds as a real rocker -not depressive- is "Young Lust" from "The Wall", but there are many other great songs by them: "Money", "Time" (from "The Dark Side Of The Moon"), "Comfortably Numb" (from "The Wall"), "Learning To Fly" (From "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason"), just to name a few.

To me, their best album is "The Dark Side Of The Moon". I remember back in 1979 when "Another Brick In The Wall Part II" became a radio hit here. I never understood that because I was mainly into Kiss - AC/DC kind of stuff, and it was very interesting to me to read an interview with David Gilmour and Rick Wright in which they said that, when they started discussing about the "Animals" follow-up, Roger Waters came up with two ideas: "The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking" and "The Wall". The band chose the last one, because it was "musically weak, but conceptually brilliant", and also said that the band agreed on the fact that the only real good songs were "Young Lust" and "Comfortably Numb" (maybe because those are the only ones in which Gilmour is credited as co-writer?). We have the same tastes! :D In fact, I only liked "The Wall" after watching the movie and seeing Roger Waters' performance in Berlin, but I've never been interested in the original recording. I don't have it. I have both live sets "Is There Anybody Out There?" and "The Wall Live In Berlin".

P.S.: It's also the COOLEST sounding band name to me, BTW.

7. Meddle, Dark Side, Wish, and Animals are my favorite studio albums by PF.

The Wall has quite a few good songs on it, but I reccomend the live version. Ever since listening to it, the studio version of comfortably numb seems cheesy to me. Mainly the vocals.

Anyone else think it's strange that they're all still living?

8. Having heard both "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" I think Pink Floyd is vastly overrated. While they are a good band, I really don't understand whats so revolutionary or particularly outstanding about them. Just sounds like regular rock to me. Dark side of the moon was getting on my nerves with all the strange non-musical sounds going on. I'm sure thats fun if you're high on LSD, but when I think of music, flying saucers landing and other strange out of this world noises don't come to mind. While they are good musicians, they just aren't my cup of tea.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

If you wanna know how things ended between Waters and Gilmour, read <a href="http://www.de.sch.gr/~adamopou/personal/floyd/articles/gilmour_rcd_1992.html" Target="_new">this</a>.

Interesting comments about Waters as a bassist, among other things.

10. Not to say that those weren't great albums, but the focus is definately more on the lyrics. They're classic concept albums. They tend to be the most popular as well, but others that have been mentioned are more interesting musically in my opinion.

mudmen owns

11. They took the name from two blues artists named Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Oops... He also co-wrote "Run Like Hell".

13. Understood - but don't forget what else was around when those two albums came out - it's easy to look back and compare them with what came after, but remember they were the originals. I like The Piper at The Gates of Dawn which is the first album they released, but few people under 50 have even heard of that one. A guitarist in one of my bands thought it all started with Meddle :rolleyes: . My personal favourite Pink Floyd track is Comfortably Numb - it raises the hair on the back of my neck :smug: every time I hear it…

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I really like Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here is my recommendation for best album.

...But I don't like Dark Side of the Moon OR The Wall.

:bag:

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Comfortably Numb and others were written by Gilmour for solo albums, but tweaked by Waters' for Pink Floyd albums. If you listen to his first solo album, you can hear a lot more of Gilmour's influence on Pink Floyd from their "popular" era.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Pink Floyd is the reason I play music. The first rock record I ever heard was Umma Gumma, and it warped me for life. Anybody who doesn't see how innovative and original PF is/was is just plain retarded.

So many bands owe much of their existence to these guys. They paved the way for sonic experimentation in rock music - and made it a viable art form.

Umma Gumma remains one of my favorite recordings of all time. There's something about it that just speaks to me - perhaps it's the unconvention of it. Piper At the Gates of Dawn is also a big favorite of mine (and I'm under 50!) - Syd was a mad genius.

17. I see. I realize there wasn't much better going on at the time, so I guess it isn't fair to compare it to todays "good" music, good being a relative term. Maybe you could recommend me one of there other albums, which do you think would be best musically?

By the way, does anybody know if the whole playing Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz thing is true?

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I would personally recommend Dark Side of the Moon as a good way to appreciate what "classic" Pink Floyd were about - but if you want a more modern (although somewhat basterdized) version, perhaps get the Pulse Double CD (which has the whole DSOTM with some other tracks from their history live).

IMO DSOTM is as relevant today as it was when it came out, the lyrical themes apply equally to todays society (Us and Them anyone??) - I would seriously get it and listen to it with a set of headphones and really listen to get whats going on.

Re the Wizard of Oz thing...its a cool thing and it does sync up pretty well, but its just a coincidence.

19. Let's not forget our good friend LSD (or any sort of illegal, mind numbing substance). That was obviously part of their success. They were the band the get high to in the 70s.

However, don't take anything away from them as musicians or songwriters. They've written some amazing stuff. Roger's an insane writer, David a great guitarist, and they've made such classic albums with so many great songs on them that it's hard to believe they could write that many hits. Albums like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are like concept albums with a great flow. Even post-Waters albums like a Momentary Lapse of Reason are great, IMO. That album has a great feeling and great bass playing courtesy of Tony Levin.

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think that Shine On You Crazy Diamond is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Joe