Pink Floyd's Aninals.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Does anyone know the concept? By that I mean Waters' plotline and the meanings of each of the songs. I got my own idea, but it's probaly wrong. I figure the Pigs are the government, The Sheep are those that are controlled by the pigs(the government) , the common people.The dogs are those that oppose the government and have a mind of their own.

Or it could possibly relate to George Orwell's Animal Farm.

I dunno Just an idea, anybody know?
  2. Pretty sure it follows Animal Farm, but I could be a bit off base....
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I wouldn't say the Sheep are just controlled by the government... I don't know, I'm bad with concept albums.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1 on Animal Farm.
    I like that one better than "The Wall".
  5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    It' animal farm to a T. My fav album of theirs.
  6. i think your first idea is right. i'm not too sure either, but thats what i always thought. definately one of my favorites if not my favorite floyd album, kicks the hell outta the wall
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It uses similar themes to make a social statement that, I believe, is more reflective of the music industry as interpreted by Waters. Similar to what we see in "Have A Cigar" and the greater work of The Wall. I used to sum it up thus (in a very sarcastic Waters-type voice):

You are a sheep
    You are a dog
    You are a pig
    I am probably insane
  8. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Pigs = Greedy People with power
    Dogs = Police controlled by pigs to keep sheep under raps
    Sheep = Common man to be exploited by Pigs and Dogs

and as the sheep pray
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it's certainly not Animal farm - which is a specific critique of what went wrong with the development of the Communist party in Soviet Russia.

Roger Waters is less specific and is more "impressionistic" ...I think basically he is obsessed with seeing insanity as being caused by society ....maybe due to what he saw happening to Syd Barret....?

But, obviously everybody in Britain knew about Animal Farm, however the lyrics to Animals are clearly about 70s Britain, "Yuppies" , Margaret Thatcher's brand of Conservatism and the angry reactions to it...not about 50s Communism!

This was the time of "Thatcher's Britain" - huge numbers unemployed, economy going down the pan, rampant inflation, riots on the street and the whole feeling of discontent that lead to Punk being such a big thing and ironically, killing off the British rock scene completely!
  10. I think Bruce has this one. Very aggressive and political album.
  11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I change my vote, the reference to Whitehouse in Pigs is not the American Whitehouse, but someone in British politics and I can't remember her first name.
    Sorry about my ignorance in British politics, but I'm w/ Bruce now.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's Mary Whitehouse - who wasn't in Politics as such, but rather lead a protest group for censorship - "The National Viewers and Listeners Association" - a self-appointed watchdog - much derided, but seen as the voice of "Thatcherite" Britain's moral majority - so Margaret Thatcher herself publicly supported this!!

Basically - they campaigned for less sex and violence on TV!

I remember they were 'outraged' by programmes like Monty Python etc. :meh:
  13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's her, I didn't think she was a politician, but thought it had to do w/ politics. A little off.
    Kinda a Tipper Gore type?
  14. Wow , I was way off then.
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My favorite Floyd album. It is the only one that hasn't grown old at some point.
  16. One of the other verses ('Bus-stop rat-bag') is about Thatcher.

She wasn't even Prime Minister then... Roger just had good taste, I guess. :smug:
  17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hmmm. I consider The Final Cut Far more political than Animals, but that's just me. That album is also like a small history lesson (albeit a gloomy one).
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "The Final Cut" and "Animals" are my favorite PF albums.
  19. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

While 'The Final Cut' is a good album, can you really consider it a Pink Floyd album? Well... minus the name of course.:p
  20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Agreed, that was a Roger Waters solo album w/ members of Pink Floyd 'helping out'.