Pink Floyd's bassist...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fat jonny, May 11, 2001.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Well the other day my friend let me borrow "the wall" and i was totally blown away by how sweet pink floyd is. I dont know why but before now i had never really listened to them before. I was wondering who the bass player is for pink floyd because i really like some of the bass parts on the few songs ive listened to. I am interested in learning to play some pink floyd songs so if anyone has any suggestions for songs with cool bass parts id appreciate it.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Roger Waters - former founding member of the band. Other recommended listening (for bass) could be:
    "Money" from Dark Side of the Moon. Despite it being the longest standing album on the Billboard charts, I really like this bass line. It's essentially a blues - although an off-time blues.
    "One of These Days" from Meddle. My favorite song, it has the bass running through an Echoplex, with heavy picking. Very aggressive as Waters matches the repeat rate of the effect with his picking rhythm.
    Most of Animals.

These should get you started.
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    It is also well known that David Gilmour actually played quite a bit of bass of the albums. The reason given was that Roger loved the creative process, but was rather lazy about recording. :)
  4. Guy Pratt played has played with them and on the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" album, there is a marvellous little solo bit with the guitar in the middle of "MoneY".
  5. nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    You should buy or borrow the Dark Side of The Moon album, its spectacular. Not just the bass, the music is great altogether. Pink Floyd is awesome!!!
  6. nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Of course, any other Pink Floyd album is good too. :)
  7. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    By the way, which one's Pink?
  8. ...but if you REALLY want to learn about Pink Floyd, you have to start with "The Piper at The Gates of Dawn" . Many (misguided) people think it all started with Gilmour - we know different...

- Wil
  9. Wil is right, piper is a incredible disk, my favorite is probally Animals, Pigs has a great bass intro and groove. I also like Obsured by clouds but I don't know two many others that do.
  10. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Echoes on the album Meddle (1971) has really cool bassline too.
    You can see Pink Floyd on the video "Pink Floyd at Pompeii".
    "Careful with that axe, Eugene!"
  11. nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    Just about any Pink Floyd album is good. I own many of them, and my sister owns EVERY Pink Floyd CD ever! (even rare imports and singles) They are a great band!
  12. nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    "I didn't know I was really drunk at the time." Funny quote.
  13. And also the primary songwriter after Syd's unfortunate "incapacitation."
  14. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    The whole Meddle album has a great bassline, but I also like the bass of the number Embryo. Especially on a concert album I have, but it is bootleg, though the quality is good.
  15. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    What is that album's name, year, place? It's not so easy to find a good quality PF bootleg. I know Embryo from album Works 1983.
  16. Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Szóval tényleg nem könnyû... :D
    És az Embryo nekem is tetszik.
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm listening to Animals at work right now! :D

Others on the play list for today are:

Hemispheres, Rush
    Aenema, Tool
    Lateralus, Tool

Then we get out early @ 2:00 for 3 day holiday weekend - w00t!!
  18. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    One album that hasn't been mentioned yet (except for a quote from "Have a Cigar") is "Wish You Were Here". "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is an excellent track from that album.
    Also "Atom Heart Mother" & "Ummagumma". These albums are a bit strange but there is some good stuff on them as well.
    The "Final Cut". This came out after "The Wall" and was the last album in which David Gilmore and Roger Waters worked together. After that there was a big court battle between the two for the rights to the Pink Floyd name, David Gilmore was the victor. "Momentary Lapse of Reason" was the first album after that and I believe Tony Levin played bass on that album. I have a hard time considering this Pink Floyd but is a great album.
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Wish You Were Here is so good it hurts. Required listening for anyone wanting to experience Floyd.

My five favorite Floyd albums are Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, Wall, and Meddle.
  20. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I second Freak's recommendation for "Delicate Sound of Thunder". Guy Pratt (unfortunate name) does some great work on that one.