Pinking up my Mesa 400+ tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Sep 26, 2005.

1. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm trading my Eden WT-800 for a Mesa 400+. I play in an original band that sounds like Emo meets Killswitch Engage meets Corrosion of Confomity, so I need something with a bit more grind in it. Any tips on these heads? Also I have a question about cabs. Right now I have an Ampeg BSE410HLF and an Ampeg BSE410HSE (one is 4 ohms and the other is 8 ohms) can I still run these with my new Mesa? Or do I need to look into getting a different cab(s)? What do you all recmmend?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Nooo... dont get the Mesa 400+ that thing sucks!!!! :eek:

Heh, Ampeg cabs would probably work fine. Let us know how it sounds. I am using a Mesa Powerhouse cab primarily and the more vintage (rather than modern) sound of it works great. If Ampeg cabs work well for tube SVT's, they should be fine for your mesa stuff.
  3. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Your cabs impedence presents a bit of a problem. The 400+ has 2 outputs for 8 ohms, 2 for 4 ohms, and 2 for 2 ohms. The intent is for you to be able to plug 2 cabs into the outputs that match the ohm total of your cabs; I.E. 2 cabs at 8 ohms each would be plugged into the 2 4 ohm outputs. Your cabs combine to make a 2.67 ohm load, so I think that means you have to plug into the two 2 ohm outputs. Or, make sure you get the owner's manual and read it carefully before cranking it to eleven and killing all the wildlife within 50 miles of you.... :)

Tonally, it's going to kick serious ass.
  4. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I just called Mesa and they said that I could run those cabs together, I just have to run the 4 ohm cab to the 2 ohm output and the 8 ohm cab to the 4 ohm output.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You can just say you play in a screamo band. It's okay.
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I didn't want to say anything about that because that's the broadest group of bands I've seen in awhile when comparing your sound.

Due to your thread subject I thought you were putting pink tolex on your Mesa 400+ :smug:

Congrats on coming to the tube side.
  7. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    It's not really screamo though (our singer actually sings, very little screaming). I think we have more in common with Coheed and Cambria with some stoner rock tendencies and drummer that digs Rush.
  8. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Earplugs. Sounds like a pretty good rig just like it is. Lucky Bastage, why can't I find anyone to make a trade like that, you scored big time.
  9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
  10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Oops, forgot it was a rackmount head my bad!

I've even played one so I should have known that :)
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Heheh... Pinking.

Congrats! :)
  12. No its not :D Heh Killswitch meets emo would be the newest album.