"Pinky" finger....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 6, 2003.

1. I seem to have a really hard time using my little finger.... It seems to be rigid and then it kind of moves into position but it's very hard for me to use it .... Do you happen to know any excersises which will help strengthen it so that I can use it the way it is ment to be used... It's very difficult actually.. It's as if it kind of pop's into the position ... Hopefully you guys have some advice... Thanks alot.. :bassist:
  2. Thanks alot.. Man that hands on the table thing is pretty hard lo... Thanks again... :bassist:
  3. I suppose you are asking about your fretting hand pinky. If so: first thing is to RELAX. Tension kills everything. If you are right-handed, then you are in luck, since your left-hand knows nothing. So, teach it to play bass! Mind over matter! Fnd some simple drills and stay with it. Nothing good, like playing bass comes easy.

4. I plan to practice at least 2 hours a day once I get my Hamer... Oh baby come to poppa!
  5. I practice and play about three hours a day, and even more on the weekeds. But I am accustomedto it after years of playing. Take it easy and don't kills yourself at first! SMART and FOCUSED practice is what builds skills and hones talent. Messing around jamming without a purpose is a waste of time.

6. Yeah exactly... I just can't wait for my bass....
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For what it's worth, Flea admits that this is his biggest bass playing weakness. Doesn't seem to hold him back.... However, I share your problem and am finding that it is indeed holding me back from pushing myself up the the next level of bass playing.

I must do exercises!
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Pinky is always the hardest to get acclimated to the fretboard - for everybody, it seems.

Personally, if I'm weak at something, I tend to assault the hell out of it and make it "conform", so to speak.

Over the years, the pinky has become the second-most used finger for me for fretting. I have the callous to prove it.

Don't just learn to fret with it - learn to slide with it, learn to modulate, everything. Practice with it as if it is the most important digit on your fretting hand and you'll be amazed at your range!

Trust me - it is worth it.
  9. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    A good basic excercise that I use to warm up with may help you develop your pinky dexterity. Play a chromatic scale, using 4 notes per string down and back up all 4/5/6/428 strings.

For example:

start on C (fifth fret G string), play four notes, when you run out of fingers shift down a string and up one fret from your previous starting position. So, the D string you would start on the 6th fret Ab/G#. Continue all the way down the strings. When you reach your lowest string and play the last note with your index finger, shift down a half step and start back up using the same pattern. You'll wind up a half step below your original starting note and you can repeat the pattern indefinately. Good warm up, and good for developing all 4 of your fingers.
  10. One of my friends had the same problem. The solution was very simple: I told him to put his thumb on the BACK of the neck (rather than hanging on the upper edge of the fingerboard). Et voilà! :D