Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by No_Fingures, Jul 5, 2002.

1. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    Ok when ever i have my 2md and first fingur down my damn pinky finger shoots up to damn far from the neck. When i lift my elbow up this seems to almost stop. I was wondering is it proper for me to have my elbow up and if you any other means of taming the pinky behavior problem.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Seems to affect your writing too ;)
    But seriously, you can do something about it.

Practice to minimize finger movement. Play the 1234 exercise and concentrate on moving the fingers as little as possible.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Face to face lessons with a good teacher would probably cure this the quickest - without seeing what is actually happening, it is virtually impossible to give definitive, good advice. But a good teacher would be able to see what is going wrong and suggest the best way to deal with this.
  4. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    heh my teacher is blind......
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    Yeh...i have a classical guitar teach who i steel most of my technique from. I been doing that 1234 and changing the fingurs around but my pinky fingurs still keeps doing it,

It seems to be something with my elbow i kinda have it IN close to my body....when i kick it out it seems to tame my pinky......
  7. Are you not relaxing?
    You should be playing so that there is no tension in your body. Your arms should be hanging to your sides not drawn into your sides.
    Maybe play in front of the mirror, maybe adjust your strap.
  8. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    just play one string with your pinky for hours and hours until you feel a comfortable touch and tone.

...and off course alternate with the other fingers so you won't have a really fat pinky and the rest all slim!!!

Practice, practice...
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Is it some gimmick of yours to not spell 'finger' correctly? Dude, its not working.
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You don't mention what your third finger does. Are you having trouble with it too? I can't see why your pinky finger would lift itself a long distance from the fretboard when you fret with your other fingers. The only thing I can imagine is an injury that may have caused your present difficulty bending or curling the pinky finger so that it works in unison with and not opposite to the other fingers.

It is actually quite hard to move the pinky out from the other fingers. It tends to curl in naturally when the others do. It is possible that you are not fretting with a relaxed hand or fretting too hard.

The advcie given above to ask a teacher or other guitar or bass player to watch you play is good advice. They may be able to help you improve your finger position ormay be able to see why you have this problem.