1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pinky locking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by quatre03, Feb 22, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    it seems everytime i start to play some minor pentatonics or use that 4-5-6-1 motion my pinky(fretting hand) locks straight out, and will pop(not sonicly, physicaly) when i pull it back it, its like i have a hitch in my finger. are there any exercises to get my pinky to loosen up?

2. ArabStrap

ArabStrap

Jan 6, 2005
    I had the exact same problem with my pinky. It disappeared after several long hours of trying to play the fingerpicking style on a guitar (Little Yellow Spiders by Devendra Banhart involves serious hammering with the pinky, I attribute my pinky getting better due to that if you're interested in trying). Now my pinky no longer has that spastic pop when I play the bass.

Perhaps varied pinky hammering techniques on the bass could help?

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I have the same problem as well, but i think i know what causes my problem.

My bro shut my hand in a door once (bathroom) as a small kid, i he did it now, he would have hell to pay for.

It is a pain, as sometimes it locks up in the middle of songs, which can become frustrating.

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Do finger permentations...

A LOT...

That might reel it in....

5. Muadip

Muadip

Feb 19, 2005
    Denmark
    My pinky does wierd moves but it doesn't pop

6. whiteXcorpse

whiteXcorpse

Oct 21, 2004
    I have circus freak pinkies, they both bend inwards tword my ring fingers about 45 degrees. So that makes things difficult, but then it locks up and takes a moment or so to regain its flexibility. Its really annoying but i figured out if I don't move my pinky at certin angles and what not it won't lock, so it became a trial and error.