Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinky locking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by quatre03, Feb 22, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    it seems everytime i start to play some minor pentatonics or use that 4-5-6-1 motion my pinky(fretting hand) locks straight out, and will pop(not sonicly, physicaly) when i pull it back it, its like i have a hitch in my finger. are there any exercises to get my pinky to loosen up?

2. ArabStrap

ArabStrap

Jan 6, 2005
    I had the exact same problem with my pinky. It disappeared after several long hours of trying to play the fingerpicking style on a guitar (Little Yellow Spiders by Devendra Banhart involves serious hammering with the pinky, I attribute my pinky getting better due to that if you're interested in trying). Now my pinky no longer has that spastic pop when I play the bass.

Perhaps varied pinky hammering techniques on the bass could help?

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I have the same problem as well, but i think i know what causes my problem.

My bro shut my hand in a door once (bathroom) as a small kid, i he did it now, he would have hell to pay for.

It is a pain, as sometimes it locks up in the middle of songs, which can become frustrating.

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Do finger permentations...

A LOT...

That might reel it in....

5. Muadip

Muadip

Feb 19, 2005
    Denmark
    My pinky does wierd moves but it doesn't pop

6. whiteXcorpse

whiteXcorpse

Oct 21, 2004
    I have circus freak pinkies, they both bend inwards tword my ring fingers about 45 degrees. So that makes things difficult, but then it locks up and takes a moment or so to regain its flexibility. Its really annoying but i figured out if I don't move my pinky at certin angles and what not it won't lock, so it became a trial and error.