Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinky Plucking anyone?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, May 28, 2004.

1. Can anyone help me? Im trying to learn how use all 4 fingers for plucking, to play fast parts like stuff by Cryptopsy, and im perfectly OK on 3 fingers, but when I try to ass that pinky, i find it starts to sound like only 2 fingers. I guess i lose the coordination when i add the pinky.

Anyone have any advice or experience?

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I do use my pinky for plucking. Because it is shorter, it only serves special occasions usually. To develop my pinky, I would play entire songs only using my pinky. I would also learn a particular pattern and first play it with my index, then middle, followed by ring, and finally my pinky (depending on the pattern, thumb too) and try to get each version to sound similar (it never is exactly right, at least for me on the faster patterns - pinky & thumb). I also repeat using 2, 3, 4, and 5 finger groupings.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I use the pink all the time, that's kind of the way i trained myself. I think it's pretty cool because there are not a lot of people who do it.

I coordinate the fingers on each of my hands, for example i only pluck when the pinky when i use the pinky on the fretboard, only pluck with the middle finger when the middle finger on the other hand is on the fretboard, and so on. If only i took the time to learn actual songs instead of training myself this way i might be a decent bassist by now!

your best bet is just to come up with little patterns in which all 8 of your fingers are involved and practice practice practice. I find it near impossible to just pluck with 2 or 3 fingers now because i do this.

4. I do it, but I need more practice. I can use my four fingers pretty well, but not super fast. Just plucking a string with pinky, then ring, then middle, then index helped me get the hang of it.

5. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Well though I would recommend you learning how to use your pinky,even legends like Steve Digiorgio say that their pinky is not too developed.

And he's faster than 95% of all bass players in the world,isn't he? ;)

6. True, it's not necessary to be a pinky master to play fast. You could choose to develop your two or three finger playing to blistering speeds. Personally, I like the way using all four fingers makes me feel like I'm all over the bass.

7. rhinestone

rhinestone

Jan 5, 2004
    Normally I play with four fingers, but I find that if I need tons and tons of speed, two fingers is much faster. I can still pluck fast with 4, but I can go even faster with just 2. 3 is actually slower for me. It's different for everyone, you don't have to use 4 fingers if 3 gets you faster.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    i never really tried with my pinky... my little finger is that big.. only 2 inches . so its hard to hit the string when my thumb is on the pickup, and thats how i play..