Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pinky

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tjglfr, Jun 26, 2003.

1. tjglfr

tjglfr

Apr 22, 2002
    Sierra Madre, CA
    I can't keep my pinky near the strings. Any tips or exercises?

sl

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    do a Chromatic excercise, One finger per fret, start slowly, on E, from the 1st fret with your index, then 2nd with you middle, 3rd with your ring, and 4th with your pinky.

start slowly!

then move down a string to A

then to D
    then G, once you reach the 4th fret of G, slide your whole hand up a fret and then go down 5,4,3,2 then ot the D string 5,4,3,2, then the A, then E

then once you have reached 2, slide up to 3, proceed 3,4,5,6....etc etc. etc.

just work on getting every note to sound clearly with no fret buzz, and start really slowly, and build up speed as you get comfortable using your pinky.

unless of course you were talking about your right hand pinky? were you :confused:

3. Yeah...it took me a little while to get my pinky into the mix...but,now it's easy.

a neat song to play to get good pinky excerise is Carousel(blink182)

It helped me w/ my pinky problems...

and do what W.R said...

I usually start at like the 3rd fret because 1-2-3-4 is quite a long stretch for me(I dun have the biggest hands):meh:

Just try to incorporate your pinky in the "mix" when you're playing songs,go slowly first...and then you'll build muscle and people able to be all crazy:)

Good Luck

-Jon:oops:

4. tjglfr

tjglfr

Apr 22, 2002
    Sierra Madre, CA
    I was talking about my left hand.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    So you're left handed then?

I shouldn't worry abot plucking with your left hand, using thumb, fore, middle and ring finger is plenty for the vast majority of players, get all those working in perfect harmony and then see if you need the pinky to pluck with!

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    If you are talking about your left fretting fingers, the main problems I see is people moving/rotating their hands, and/or taking their fingers a long way from the fretboard. Keep the life lines of your hand parallel with the fretboard.

I have worked on my fretting fingers and pinky wy keeping my hand in the same position, putting all four fingers down along the same string, and raising up the pinky, a very small distance, like 1/8 ro 1/4 inch...Ok, now you have three fingers down, and the pinky up...now raise the third finger up that same distance WITHOUT MOVING THE PINKY UP. Then do this with the other fingers. When all fingers are up, they are all up the same amount. Work on raising the fingers independent, so that your pinky does not raise each time, only the first time. Now put them down one at a time. Play chromatics, and scales, and songs slowly by putting every finger down on the string you can, and work the fingers independently, just as an exercise.

Ok, now the bad news, even though I have worked on this off and on for years, and walked around the office with an architect's scale in my right hand, fingering it with my left...against double sided foam tape to reduce the noise in meetings...my pinky will never be as good as my other fingers. It is short and stupid. And sometimes it is too fast to make up for that and hammers down on the string when I want a light touch. Other people notice that I use my pinky just like any other finger, but I know the real truth. Please don't tell anyone.

Good luck.

Tim.