Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino on Grammy's

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gruuv, Feb 14, 2005.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Anyone see Pino playing with John Mayer at the Grammy's last night? His feel is up there with the best of them. I never liked that "Daughters" song very much but he added something it needed: a little slippery groove, and some double stops thrown in for good measure :bassist: . I wish I'd taped that. . . did anyone tape it?

2. This was mentioned in another thread, but it was the best part of the show. I would love to know if someone Tivo'ed it and has posted it somewhere.

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I did a quick search but couldn't find anything so I posted this. Didn't mean to be redundant. Yeah, if anyone has it I'd love to get it. Certainly was the highlight for me. A pleasant surprise too, I was watching the show thinking Stevie was going to perform with his band, so getting to see Pino lay it down made the lack of Stevie worthwhile.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Great little rhythm section John had there......Pino & Steve Jordan! Made the show for me :cool:

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I saw him playing a blues number with John Mayer on that Tsunami Relief benefit concert a few weeks ago. Very cool. I'm even more impressed with Mayer's decision to dirty things up lately. He's a great musician, but I've always found his cd's to be too sappy.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ya I saw it.
    Pino just knows how to lay it down.
    Steve Jordan was right on too.
    Maybe John will tour with them?-WISH-

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mayer's regular bassist David LaBruyere is a badass too, I really like his playing a lot :bassist: I think Pino might be commited to the Who for the summer.

8. The cool thing about Pino with John Mayer:

Pino played in a manner that complimented the song, showed class, did not overplay, yet there was no mistake that he loves to play the bass.

He would have done the same on a fretless.

Cheers to Pino. He has the key to it all regardless of who is in the spotlight.

9. level 42

level 42

Feb 19, 2005
    Stick to fretless Pino, thats your heavenly signature sound....flatwounds on a P Bass,ughhhhh!

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I disagree....Pino hasn't played fretless in a very long time, yet he is more in demand than ever. He has one of the best feels of whats right or wrong for a song that I have ever heard. He has matured as a player by playing less notes, and his use of space as on D'angeloo's 'Voodoo' C.D. is such a lesson in groove, that it's what bassplaying is all about to me..just my two pennies :cool:

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Right on.
    Buy it would be nice to hear Pino on fretless too.
    Just great on both basses.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I just saw this the other day this is the problem with being on the other side of the pond, pino is brilliant everytime I hear him he makes me want to practice, as opposed to the really flashy players who make me want to sit in the corner and cry.

I did think it was funny to see the drummer with like 1/4 of a kit and then pino and john using what looked like huge amps.

and finally did you see the length of Pino's fingers OMG.

All I can say is wow.

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It would have been better if you could have heard him in the mix. I was disapointed.

14. Kid A

Kid A

Jan 17, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I could hear him fine in the mix :meh:

Really tasteful and great playing, best part of the whole show.

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Pino is the epitome of what a great support bassist should be!
    I saw him last year with the Who, and he played a different style than he has been doing on all the neo-soul he does now.
    He does what the job calls for and still puts his artistic stamp on it :cool:

16. Pino really is the man! I forgot all about the D'angelo disk. I'll have to dig that one out. Does anyone know for certain if it was Kevin Brandon (Brandino) backing up Alicia Keys? I believe he was playing the Thumb 6er.

17. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Did anyone ever find this clip posted anywhere online? I only caught the last few bars, I'd love to download the vid of this!

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I missed it. I watched a litte of the Grammy's... decided it wasn't worth wasting my time, and turned the TV off. Why did I have to do that?

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I got it off Limewire

20. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses

I think it's Steve Mostyn... would be a 6-string Streamer Stage 1