1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pino Palladino Bass Arsenal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MIMJAZZ, Sep 5, 2014.

1. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Couldn't say, while I was watching he didn't get much screen time, except for the solos in 'my generation'.

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    How'd you watch it? I notice your location says London...

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    London is correct but I'm at Jazz fest ... When I said 'screen' I meant the big ones beside the stage. It was rammed ... I couldn't get any closer.

4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Oh okay. Damn. I was hoping for a pro-shot video.

5. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Love this song:

Hans Gruber and jallenbass like this.
  6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan

This should be over here. Interesting looking bass.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pino plays impossible basslines because they seem to be without ego, yet they are utterly perfect. He can dominate a song from the background and from being upfront, or he can fade into the mix and be effective too. He has an innate bass feel that I don't think can be taught, but I suspect it can be learned. My goal is to have a feel like Pino's even though I don't want his style.

8. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Early Pino, what is he playing here? "vigier"for give my spelling

9. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Vigier basses? How about playing this one for me, miss can't look at the camera, "Marta Altesa?"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  10. pino.

This is one of Pino's personal instruments, a custom Sei guitar/bass.

Nunovsky likes this.
  11. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003

I saw this one being built by Martin at the Bass Gallery in London some years back. I think Pino has since sold it though.

I reckon that there can only be one Chalie Hunter in the universe at the same time! ;)

12. Here's Pino with The Who playing '57(or '58; calling Fender Police to identify the suspect) Fender. Really beautiful aged 2-tone sunburst, matches perfectly with anodized pickguard.

Formula+One+Concerts+Day+4+udAnlhJkFDQl.

13. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The two-tone sunburst would indicate that this is likely a '57. In '58, they become three-tone.

14. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Wonder what strings he rocks when playing with the Who. Doesn't look like normal TIs he is known for when playing his neo-soul stuff.

15. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    He used to use Roto 66s with The Who, then switched to DR Black Beauties for the Quadrophenia tour, but it looks like he might be back to Roto 66s.

dinodino likes this.
  16. Fantastic looking bass! I want to know more about this one. Is it a original 57? early 58? Or maby Custom Shop?

AndrewTaran likes this.
  17. LeMattMead

LeMattMead Guest

Nov 7, 2011
    Have just been watching footage of Pino with D'Angelo on Youtube, playing his red Lakland. It's amazing how Pino always sounds like Pino. There's probably a lesson to be learnt there.

(I still want all the basses)

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    Ahh, it's a moon bass on the super jam with d'angelo... I've been trying to figure that out for about a year... The logo had me thinking that it was a Sandburg.

19. billdylan

billdylan

Apr 28, 2009
    "Funny to see the Jeff Finch 5 fretless mentioned...there are pictures of it on the internet... it looked like an original MM stingray in a 5 configuration...the story however...is more convoluted....and time has taken its toll on my memory....jeff finch shot the boards on his musicman stingrays...roundwounds took their toll..so pino respected jeff's work...and mind you ...he was the finest luthier in the 90's...i remember the musicman style 5 with kent armstrong pickups built by jeff...(We were buddies ).... I seem to remember peavey pushing a bass at pino..he did'nt like it much...so.....it either became that 5 with new wings (It was a neck thru ).. and pups...or might have been a 6 string made as well by jeff......all i know is that i have a jeff finch mm style 5 that used the old wings from the peavey prototype re shaped ...jeff never wasted anything...i have a weird fretless 4 from jeff....he had a guy wanted his Wal neck fretted...jeff said .."too nice to fret "...so he made a new neck,,,as a result I've got a wal fretless neck on a finch wal mk 1 body...with dimarzio jazz pickups...man its fabulous...Jeff Finch....one of the great Luthiers...and a top man to know...hope this clears up a bit of history....

20. Continuum

Continuum

Oct 31, 2005
    Pino's son Rocco uses his Squier Jazz Bass and the Lakland he used with D'angelo. (I know Pino's arsenal so well, when I looked at the Squier logo, I knew to look down for the MIDI pickup!) The Squier is Rocco's main bass and he's since removed the Roland.

JAZZENTETE_LPF_9.

A little seen jam with Edie Brickell and James Gadd here.