1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pino Palladino Custom Shop with NIN live?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by remigiozampa, Nov 1, 2013.

1. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi Justin

This is your Pino CS refinished?

Man, i LOVE the tone on this song!!
    I want to expand my collection of studio basses and i´ve been thinking in the Pino Palladino CS model. I know that is one of the best precision of CS but i´m afraid of a too much mellow and rounded tone... it´s also capable of chunky and agressive punk sounds like you show on this version of "The big come down"?

Thanks!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That's not a Pino CS. It's just an American P bass with different pickups and a few other mods. I destroyed it on tour (cracked the body in several places and broke the neck), so now it's just some parts. My Pino bass isn't the best one I have at aggressive stuff.

3. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks Justin! Then, i guess a regular time machine Custom Shop model can deal better with aggressive tones.

4. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    by the way, do you remember what pickups? Sounds really amazing... of course i know that is due to the spectacular playing more than any pick up ;-) But i´m curious about your pick up election.

5. Did it malfunction and need to be punished? I've heard that is the NIN tradition with gear... :^)

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I think it was just a Quarter Pounder. No the poor bass didn't need to be punished, but it did need to get launched up to the truss then nose-dive back to earth in a simple, elegant demonstration of Newton's law of universal gravitation.

kirillio likes this.

7. Well done.

8. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    great playing, JMJ! not crazy about NIN tho,but your tone and ideas are excellent,as always.

9. Old thread, but hey ho!

Really cool to see Pino playing with NIN currently :)

10. Jazzish

Jazzish

Mar 5, 2006
    Drive pedal used in the video???

11. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    If my memory serves me correctly, Justin once stated it's a combination of a Depth Charge and a GT-2.

12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    correct