1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pino Palladino P Bass Distortion???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the blast, Mar 25, 2009.

1. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, I got it & I love it! Plays & looks amazing, especially with the pick up & bridge covers on it! Took it to a rehearsal tonight. Also tested it in a practice amp & MBox at home. The A string farts out or distorts really badly when played very hard. The E string does as well but not as bad or as easily.

Any ideas? Is it possible the pickups are set too high? Possible something is wrong with the pick up? Any of you ever experience this?

Thanks guys,
    -john

2. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    p bass pickups are high output so it will drive a small practice amp or interface pretty hard.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Try lowering the E-A half of the pickup and see if it helps. It only takes a minute and you can raise it right back if that isn't it.

4. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Good advice. Two turns of the screw on the A side seems to have solved it! I'll know for sure tomorrow when I can turn it up.
    Thanks guys.
    -john

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congratulations on that awesome bass:bassist: But how 'bout some pics, eh?:smug:

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    what strings are on it?

G

7. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

pics pics pics...........

8. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's got the TI Flats. Do you guys know which guage & package they are? I'd like to get the same ones for a little Musicmaster I have.

Pics will DEFINITELY come but I have to be able to put her down for a min when I'm home so I can snap some pics!

I played it last night through an Ampeg Classic with an 8x10 cab & a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI.... HOLY S&*#!!!! It's sooooo versatile. Even with the flats, it flat out rocked. When I played it with a pick & killed the Sans Amp, it really copped a nice Motown / percusive vibe. This particular band doesn't sound anything like, but dynamically & sonically has the Stone Temple Pilots thing kind of going on. It fit right in.

Also, I'd never played a bass with pickup & bridge covers & I really liked having them there to lay my hands on.

All of you that answered my questions (I can get annoying) from my previous thread really helped me out!

Thanks for the congrats & I'll try to get some pics up tonight!
    Best,
    -john

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Congrats!:hyper: I'd love to have one of those. Playing it through an SVT is just the right thing to do.:D

10. 9mmMike

There is a gas-inducing youtube video of a fellow playing a Pino (lemon song) with the TI's and as I recall there was a comment posted that said something like, "your sound was about as good as you could get from those strings" or something like that.
    I will see if I can find the link. It made me reconsider TI's for my AV '57.

11. 9mmMike

Here it is:

The comment is from toddgakk on page three.

12. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Oh trust me, I saw it! He's a good player & his tone was really great.

-john

13. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It's my understanding that these pickups were to Pino's spec. I also found them to be aggressive when I first got my Pino -- I dropped the pickup height just a tad and all is perfect now.

Enjoy!

14. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Jeff.
    -john

15. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    The strings are JF344s, but you'd need the JF324s for a Musicmaster.

Congrats on your new bass. I have the same pickups (and strings) on my '62 reissue. I love them!