Pino Palladino Signature Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HMZ, Feb 26, 2010.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What pickups come in the Pino Palladino P bass?

2. "Vintage Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup", which is the same pup that is in the 62RI, according to the spec sheets on the Fender website.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's a custom pickup from the Fender Custom Shop based off his original '62. It's not available separately as far as I know. That said a good pickup maker can get you in the same vicinity. I'm currently having Chris Klein wind me a P-pickup for a 62 clone. He has gauss (magnetism) measurements of actual '62 pickups so he can approximate the sound of a 48 year old pickup.

Bigbri likes this.
  4. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The spec sheet on Fender's website is terribly wrong on the Pino bass...it even says it has a quartersawn neck. The literature says it's a "custom wound pickup."

5. Yeah.....reading those spec sheets can be confusing, but that's the only way to compare specs of different models. The exact same wording is used for both pickups, but I have read previously that it is "custom wound"......which may just be CS hype. Hard to know for sure.

Quartersawn? My Pino's neck is quartersawn.

6. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow, I'm definitely surprised. I wonder if his original 62 is quartersawn or if it was a choice he made for the signature model (like Eric Johnson's strat)...I am way too interested in this stuff.

7. Yeah.......I had to pull it out of the case to look at it again. My 59RI CS Relic also has a qs neck. My 57RI does not.

From what I've read, I don't think Leo was quarter-sawing anything back then......but I'm not an expert by any means.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    So would the Fender vintage 62 pickups get in the ball park or is the Pino pickup much different?

9. I think it would. In fact, after reading every thread on Talkbass regarding P-pups, and playing many different P-pups, I decided that the Fender 62 vintage pup gave me the most desirable sound. I will qualify that by saying this:

1) I prefer an old-school 60's sound.....so any pup that has too much edge, harshness, etc, I don't like. I first discovered this when I bought my Sadowsky J......the sound was too aggressive and I couldn't fix it with new strings or miles of EQ. So I sold it and got a Fender Road Worn Jazz and love it. But we're talking P's, and I've really turned into a passive P-only kinda guy.

2) When considering "old-school" P-sound, you have to consider the capacitor. The 50's and early 60's P-basses had a .1mF capacitor......and changed to a .05 in the early 60's. I'm no expert on caps or electronics by any means; in fact I'm confused by most of it. But I do know the sound when I hear it.

3) I bought several original-style Highway 1 P-basses to refinish in custom colors......mainly because I prefer the mid-sized B-width neck and the Hwy 1 is finished in nitro. Anyway, I originally bought Nordstrand NP-4 pups to put in them, based on the reviews that I read. But after playing a bass that had an NP-4 in it, even that pup had just a tad too much edge on it. That's when I decided that, if I liked the sound of my Pino, why not just buy a Fender 62 vintage pup. I mean, who better than Fender to reproduce the Fender sound? :bag:

4) After responding to your thread, I compared the sound of my Pino, my 59RI CS, and my 57RI. I hate to say it, but I couldn't tell an appreciable difference in the sound of the 3 basses. :oops: I could tell a difference in the feel, but not the sound. (FYI, I like the feel of my 59 best, followed by the Pino, then the 57.....YMMV).

Hope this helps.

Randy

10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    From what I've heard.
    They are 62 reissue pickups.
    That are hand wound, for Pino's tone. (not off the rack pickups)
    Custom Shop.

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I think we both think alike. I too had a Sadowsky and sold it and went with a MIA Fender jazz bass. I love the mid-sized B width neck the best of all P-bass necks.

I think I am going to try the Fender vintage 62 pickups. I hear a lot of good things about them.

12. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I plan to string a bass with TI's that has the '62 RI "custom shop" pups in it. I am also interested to see how the sound compares to my Pino. I will post to this thread (if I can find it) after I get the TI's installed.

13. Mike,

I'd be very interested in your input. I'm in the process....kinda....of making a Pino-look-alike so I can string it with Rounds and leave the TI Flats on the Pino.

Randy

14. Phump

Phump Inactive

Feb 8, 2010
    They are 62's. Lindy Fralin's default wind would make a 62 blush, IMO.

15. I used to favor Fralins but after a few years of playing and comparing vintage wound pickups I have come to the realization that the 62 is easily as good if not better than the competition.

And they are half the price as well.

16. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    So, are you saying your Pino has a .1 mF capacitor? Has anyone taken a peek to check the value of the capacitor in the Pino?

17. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I have a fiesta '64 with rounds and the Pino with flats for the same reason. Almost twins but with very different sounds.

18. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly

19. Wow......awesome video. It's unusual to get such a long clip of Pino, especially with old Kiss-and-Tell-Mayer on the same stage. :ninja:

20. Good question. I've read that they do, but I've never dissected mine. I'll do that and report back.

Fender hasn't published detailed specs on their Custom Shop products....not that I've seen anyway.....but they have on their 57RI and 62RI.....both have .1mF caps.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021