Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Palladino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MILLHOUSE, Feb 19, 2002.

1. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    Local newspaper recently reported that Pino's brother has opened a restaurant about a mile and a half from my home and (hopefully) he's gonna get Pino to play a gig there!
    A few years back, Pino played a small venue with his "All star Band" here in Cardiff, S. Wales - He's a local lad - And I went along. A top night out.....was blown away by his versatility, cos you only ever him with his "Pino sound" on records!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I always liked Pino's playing, but am only familiar with what he's done with Pete Townshend and an occasional song with Don Henley.

What's a great recording with him?

3. Check out Paul Young's stuff. Pino played on most if not all of his recordings.

4. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    He played on Eltons "Nikita" and Phil Collins' " I wish it would rain down" (Along with Eric Clapton) to name but a few.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Go West's 1st album (I think) has some nice playing by Pino...
    BTW, I found it hard to believe that was Pino on Shawn Colvin's "Sunny Came Home"(or maybe it's just me). ;)

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out D'angelo's Voodoo album.....Pino plays some way-cool old school fingerstyle funk on a tuned down P-bass with flats. He has such a great sense of space and groove.
    Aloha, Jerry

7. Palladino also played on some of Gary Numan's stuff eg. "Music for chameleons"- that line is pretty similar to Mick Karn(who also recorded with Numan)'s playing with Japan.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I second that. You can hear the Jamerson influence coming through.

Also check out "Beauty" by Ryuichi Sakamoto. Features the classic Pino sound with generous use of the octaver.

Interestingly enough, this was recorded around the time he played on Mike Lindup's (of Level42) solo effort titled "Changes".

9. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    Yeah, I think his sense of space is a key factor....A lesson to most of us (esp me!)

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He also puts in great lines on Erykah Badu's "Mama's Gun."

11. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    All that I hear from PP, is good ! :eek:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He was on an album by the "Christians", where he played some great stuff - wonderful tone and not like the typical sound you hear on Paul Young records etc.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mock Turtle Regulator, I can't believe someone else is familiar with PP's work with Numan! He's all over the "I, Assassin" album and really does a lot forthe sound of the album. He also plays on some of "Dance" if I remember correctly. (I probably don't)

14. according to a discography webpage I looked at it was Mick Karn on that album.
    to be honest I'm not really a fan of most of Pino Palladino's fretless playing- it's a bit too smooth and FM radio-friendly for my liking- that "80's fretless" sound, and lacks the grit of Mick Karn's playing, but I like his line on "Music for chameleons".

there was an interview in BP in which he said he was using flatwounds to get away from that sound he had.

also John Giblin (Simple Minds, Kate Bush various sessions) said he was using flatwounds to get away from that typical 80's fretless sound.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL....how do you think I feel.......I saw Hendrix play:)

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I seem to remember that it was Gary Numan himself who played the brilliant fretless line for "A Subway Called 'You'", the single song that made me pick up a fretless.

17. As htag mentioned, check out Julia Fordham's "Porcelian" recording. She is an exceptional talent and this particular CD is incredible. Pino plays some very nice fretless lines on this CD.

If you can find the UK version of the CD, there's a song called "Prince of Peace" that is just Julia's vocal and Pino on fretless - great stuff!

Jeff

18. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    IMHO One of Pino's finest moments is on Oletta Adams' song 'Get Here (If you can)'.....you know the one - 'I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can' Fan-bloody-tastic!

But he's played on loads more stuff than he's known for - he played on an album by a band called Celtus (I think it was called Moonchild), from Ireland (rumour has it he did it for next to nothing just because he liked what he heard!)

He is, for me, the master of the modern fretless sound...

19. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    Re: Oleta Adams.....I think he also guested with Oleta on Tears For Fears' Seeds Of Love album....

Curt Smith was obviously influenced by Pino during the making of this fine album, he emulated Pinos style to great effect. (I think he used a Warwick bass tho')

20. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    Philibaker, I, Assassin is one of my favorite albums of all time. I love Numan and I especially love Palladino's fretless work on that album. I haven't heard any other work from Pino though!