Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Palldino on tour with Simon & Garfunkel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 10, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Pino Palladino will be playing bass on the upcoming "Old Friends: The 2003 Tour" of Simon & Garfunkel!

Anybody ever catch this guy live?

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I wish. Oh how I wish!:(

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Here's where I give my age away. I've seen Pino with Paul Young back when he was the premiere fretless player in pop music and connoisseur of gold lame' suits.

Later on, I saw him with both D'Angelo and The Who. On each gig, he really was a different player and tore the house down every time. Truly one of the finest bassists working today.

I'd phone the neighbors and wake the kids to see Pino with Simon and Garfunkel. Those guys certainly have great taste in bass players, which is evidenced by some of the names both S+G and Paul Simon have worked with in the past.

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I envy you to no end 20db.:)

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    WE can set up a mutual envy society, then! You for my concert experiences and me for your playing:D

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    OK. Done. Now...Did you see the Police in concert? If so, tell me every detail you can remember. I was 15 in '83 and I never got to see them. I'm ready to envy you again!:D

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    I was around that age when I saw the "Synchronicity" tour. It helps to have older siblings who were going to concerts anyway. All I really remember is that they were rawer than what you hear on records and that they played everything about 2000 BPM faster than the recorded versions. Sting played a Spector and some little Ibanez, I think.

My raging hormones combined with my date's snug Jordache jeans didn't really allow me to pay much more attention to what Mssrs. Copland, Summers, and Sumner were doing. She was a "band geek", so I'll just let those who've seen "American Pie" fill in the rest:D

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I remember Jordache. Too well. At the LEAST you were there! Jordache...I have to go now. Memories...Just kidding. OK. Here's another one...Did you see Duran in their heyday? This is the last one, I promise!;)

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    Most fellas I knew went to Duran shows because there'd be girls there. I actually really liked them. I saw the original lineup once, but I preferred V 2.0 with Steve Ferrone on drums live. Started saving for a Kubicki the next day.

Lemme get all the "Big 80s" acts out of the way here. In their chart-topping prime, I've seen:

-Hall and Oates/Til' Tuesday
    -Def Leppard
    -Madonna/Level 42 - hard to believe, but true - 1987. Level blew Madonna of the stage, IMO, but there weren't thousands of girls dressed like Mark King there.
    -Culture Club - no girls dressed like Mark King either.
    -George Michael with the never-spoken-of Deon Estus on bass (!)
    -Big Country
    -Prince
    -Adam Ant/The Romantics
    -New Edition

10. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I Love Big Country. What was that show like? I am pretty big fan of Tony Butler. OK. I lied. This is REALLY the last one...

11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    Big Country was really good. One of the best and most solid rhythm sections I've seen. I recall Tony Butler and drummer Mark with-the-name-nobody-can-spell were a first call package in the UK studios.

Tony was the first guy I saw using Trace Elliot stuff. This was definitely before '86, maybe around '84 or '85.

12. One of the best 80's concerts I saw was James Taylor with Lee Sklar on bass. He ripped!!

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Tripster, I saw the reformed original line up a few weeks ago at Webster Hall here in NYC. It was a great concert, they all honestly looked like they were having a great time. JT was great, played the Aria for almost every song.

Back to the original subject, I could take or leave S&G but my wife is a die hard fan. So I think we're going if we can get tix. But if Pino is there, that's something to look forward to! He's a monster player, very tasteful. His stuff with Go West has some lines also (Call Me, Don't Look Down).

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Trip and 20db pad,

You cats are funny... totally got lost in the 80's with this thread... I look away and you guys start talking Duran Duran n' stuff! :D

...anyways,

20db pad,

You got to catch Pino with the Who and D'angelo!!! Man, both of those gigs must have been awesome, I'm jealous to no end... especially the D'angelo gig. That must have been funky!

Here's a pic of Pino and Jimmy Coppola of the NYC Guitar and Bass Boutique:

[​IMG]

S&G have great taste in bassists.... Carol Kaye is one of them right?

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    Y'know, a photo of the oh-so-short Paul Simon and the oh-so-tall Pino posing together would be pretty amusing.

Carol Kaye did do some S+G dates, but I can't recall what.

I was specifically referring to the players who've worked live with either S+G or Paul on his own. That list includes Armand Sabal-Lecco, Bakithi Khumalo, Pino, and of course the great Anthony Jackson who must have found time to do a gig apart from his regular job of infuriating BP magazine readers. ;)

Can't make 'em all - I missed seeing him play the first S+G reunion:(

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ya Can't forget great drummers too: Steve Gadd!

17. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Mark Brzezicki. Bruh-Zek-EE. I hate you 20DB. I hate you more than you will ever know!
    Just kidding man! Tony and Mark are one of my all time fave rhythm sections...I will leave this alone now guys. Back to Pino. (A great subject anyway!) Sorry for the '80s hijack.:)

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Deon Estus lives and plays in the clubs out here [Maui} now........still super funky!!!

19. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    Continuing the scheduled derailment, does Deon play under his own name or in a group? Can you lay the 411 on me? I'm looking for any excuse to get to Hawaii as it is...........

20. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Deon is bad man...