Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Pallendino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blipndub, Jul 21, 2000.

1. I saw in a back issue of BP that Pino was on the new D'Angelo album.

Has he done other hip hop work like this?

What do you guys think of the sound?
    I've downloaded a couple songs and they sound very cool.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know if I'd call what D is doing Hip-Hop [​IMG] Like Maxwell, it's a throwback to the type of grooves we played when I was coming up in the 70's.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I can't comment on the Hip Hop thing, But I can mention that the name is Palladino, not 'Pallendino'.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

4. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    I don't know if you remember but in the article pino said that he was playing a larry grahmam signature tuned downed to c#. It sounds great, and his lines are sooooo funky!!!!!! I have a bunch of the mp-3s myself and i think i am going to buy the album. He also played a p-bass tuned to D. I tried that and it was really fun. you should too.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, he's another guy that makes me want to throw rocks at my bass. Very fast and tasteful; a combination that's hard to beat.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anybody have/remember Pino's playing on Go West's debut album?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - I bought that on vinyl and also check out "the Christians" first album.

8. I knew I was going out on a limb with Palladino's spelling, no offense. I'v been listening to more of the D'Angelo and you're right, it's not fair to call it hip hop. But I really do like it, maybe because it is so undeffined, and a little dorky.

9. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    I would not call this album undeffined at all. You guys are missing the point all together about D'angelo i think. He is a soul singer with a modern edge, he has a little rap on the album but it is really a R&B album. all the gooves are very R&B feel (other than spanish joint which has a latin feel).

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Which "guys" are missing "what" point? [​IMG]

11. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    who ever it was that was going on about the "hip hop" feel of "Voodoo". It's not really rap at all it's actually modern R&B music. I respect D'angelo because i love R&B music and there are not too many people really playing in pop music today. Sure there is a quote R&B market but it mostly has little to do with the music. so that is what i was trying to say.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Seems like the only person calling it Hip Hop was the original poster. Look at the second post:D

13. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I'm bumping this old thread - does anyone have the original article on Pino (Bass Player may 2000 issue)?

14. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    he played with john mayer for a while and the stuff he did for that was smokin hot, truly groovy bass lines. he's always in the pocket. solid stuff

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Pino's got great grooves with D'Angelo. If you like the Neo-Soul, R&B vibe you should check out the stuff he does on Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun.

Pino's got groove and soul.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah - like we kept a magazine for 7 years!! :meh:

17. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i've got magazines older than that kicking around....

18. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001

Actually I have too. Thanks for your contribution, Bruce. :rolleyes:

19. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    I have bass mags dating much further back...I think i have this one back at my uni dorms, if I do I will scan it for you.

Until then, I can't remember if this is the may issue (I found it on lucas pickford's site):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other hip-hippy-r and B things he also played on:

Scott, Jill: Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds Vol. 2
    James, Boney: Pure
    Benson, Rhian: Gold Coast
    Benson, Rhian: Spirit
    Common: Electric Circus
    Kweli: Talib Quality
    Common: Like water for chocolate
    Musiq Soulchild: Aijuswanaseing
    Hamilton, Anthony: Comin' from where I'm from
    Badu, Erykah: Mama's Gun

20. eajacobs

eajacobs

Nov 20, 2006
    I recently fell in love with this album again. D'Angelo's first album, Brown Sugar also has some excellent tracks... notably "Higher" which Will Lee absolutely kills on. But what I'm really interested in is how Pino gets that tone. Does he have rounds on his P? EQing? His dynamics and expression are ridiculous on this album. Absolutely top notch playing on par with my other favorite neo-soul album-- Hubert Eaves' playing on Erykah Badu's "Live" album.