Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pino Pallidino touring west coast with Jeff Beck

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DAcat, Mar 19, 2006.

1. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Jeff Beck will be making a rare tour of the west coast from about March 31-April 7 and Pino Pallidino will be playing bass again for him as he did when they toured Tokyo briefly last summer-Those of you on the west coast lucky enough to see this show(maybe one of Jeff's last tours)with Pino's great bass playing should have a rare treat in store...I wish I were there...hoping the tour will stretch into a longer one,but I kinda have my doubts:crying: ...Peace...DAcat:cool:

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Oh man, that would be a killer show.
    Who else in playing with Jeff Beck??

<edit>
    Just checked Jeffbeck.com
    Oh man!!
    Pino Palladino Bass
    Vinnie Colaiuta Drums
    Jason Rebello Keyboards
    Beth Hart Vocals

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I hope they record that band! I'm also a big Beth Hart fan.

4. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Me too Jerry,and I hope the shy :ninja: Jeff(though if you've seen him on tour in the past 5 years, he's definately coming out of his shell :bag: and having a great time:hyper: )will finally let it be put on a DVD for once as well. By the way, Pino becomes an animal:bassist: when he plays with Beck.....Peace...DAcat:cool:

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    man, Pino gets some great gigs!

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hmmmmm...I wonder why;)

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    :D

8. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Just got my tix for the Vegas show,all sold out in LA and SD.
    The waiting.........

9. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Please give us an in depth review...Peace...DAcat:cool:

10. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I was just wondering how many of you were fortunate enough to be going to this concert?...Peace...DAcat:cool:

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Pino + John Mayer = amazing

Pino + Jeff Beck = out of this world!!

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1

13. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Not to mention Vinnie!

14. sold out in SF. If anyone has a ticket and they can't go, PLEASE pm me!:crying:

15. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    +100...Peace...DAcat...:cool:

16. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Anybody see :ninja: the concert last night in Tempe and want to give a review? Peace...DAcat :cool:

17. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    OK, this is for you DAcat!
    I got picked up by a friend from my church gig and blazed out to Vegas.
    {Ironic indeed} We pulled into Mandalay Bay and checked into a room.
    HOB is in MB so we had to go nowhere if we chose.Had a few tails, had dinner in HOB in order to get in before the masses. We parked ourselves next to the front of house soundman and got a few more tails. We were ready !
    The band came out and sounded great and played a wide variety of tunes, of which I don't know the names. I recognized a few oldies and some new ones from JEFF. JB sounded perfect. We could hear every squeal, scratch, sigh, etc that came out of his gtr. And it was so clean for how high his gain, etc seemed.He has a beautiful touch.
    Pino, from what I could distinguish sounded great. Unfortunatly the club was muddy in the low end so I had to let my eyes tell me half of what he was doing. He was playing his old P that Fender has copied, on all but 1 tune.He played another Fender on that but I don't know why, perhaps detuned, as it wasn't frettless. He had Vinnie grinnin all night, and layed it down the middle. He was THE anchor, as JB appears to be one of those gtr players that loves to play off an active drummer, ie Holldsworth. So, like Jimmy Johnson does w/ Vinnie and Allan, Pino does w/ Vinnie and Jeff. He kept the door open all night for those 2 to go out and come back. He did some unison lines a handful of times w/ them and nailed em.
    One thing about Pino, he's a BIG dude. He muscles the bass so easy, thus his beautiful touch and vibrato. The P looked small on him, especially compared to the strat on JB. He towered over the band.
    Vinnie was explosive as usual and hittin hard and sounded great.
    The kb player was great and did several unisons,a few solos, and reharmed a few tunes beautifully. The singin lady was BAD. She sang about 4-5 times and was a great energy for JB to work off. She is so sexual and powerful, it was a nice change from just dude shredding.
    She reminded me of Janis Joplin ,in the way she belts out the tunes w/ maximum force and ferocity.Her tone and pitch were great.
    They ended the show w/ a duo, kb and gtr, arrangement of Somewhere over the rainbow, that was reharmed and was beautiful.
    So....we had a few more tails and hit the slots.... and both WON.
    Late snack, sleep/passed out, and drove home mon. morning.
    It was a great hit and run and I'm going to keep my eye open for more great gigs in LV !
    There, I'm typed out, Peace, MixBass

18. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Thanks for the review MixBass:) -I almost felt like I was there:hyper: for a moment(sans tails)...did they play any Hendrix songs (in memory of Jimi) as rumored? Also,did you see any film crews,cameras etc....Jeff beck hasn't really done a live concert DVD and its also been rumored that it could happen on this tour. What a great day that must have been ...I haven't got to see Jeff Beck since he toured with BB King 2 years ago-but I did get to stand at his feet front row at that show, and watch and hear every marvelous, mysterious,musical feat that he did with such sonic mastery and impeccable soaring tone. I'll never forget his three most recent concerts in the past 5 years that I've seen,but I'll also never forget the first 2 times I saw his group in 69,and and 2 more times in 72...they were all brilliant performances...but in the past 5 years I think he's just taken the guitar to a level of enlightened playing. Maybe a few more reports of this tour will trickle in.....Thanks again...Peace...DAcat:cool:

19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man I would love to see this show!!!! Thanks for the review.

20. the show was great in SF, you really couldn't ask for any better. Totally retrospective of his entire career. No, he did not do the Hendrix stuff like he did in Japan, but did do 'People Get Ready'.

Jeff's guitar work is still amazing. Keeps getting better.

The sound in the Warfield isn't the greatest, the low end was kinda muddy but I could still tell that Pino was holding it down effortlessly.

And Vinny!! Wow!